Virgin Atlantic to Allow Cell Phone Use on Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Between the TSA, and poor customer service from airlines, I try not to fly. I would rather sit in a cargo hold on a shipping freighter if I had to go overseas.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]Let me know when airplanes start to offer free wifi then I would use it.[/citation]
Some airlines have been offering free WiFi for some time now.

G

About 15 years ago, I was on a flight from NYC to Dallas. Those were the days of airline provided sat phone. The guy sitting next to me was on that phone for the entire flight - one call right after the other.

How distracting! Flying used to be a time for contemplation - no longer.

threefish

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Some airlines have been offering free WiFi for some time now.[/citation]
Really? Which airlines offer it for free? I'm going to have to start booking with them.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Really interresting. Last time I taked a plane from "United airlines", they had a "On demand" system with a touchscreen. I watched "The Big Bang Theory" and "Dexter" on the plane for free.
The flight seem short and I really enjoy that.
Open the GPRS seem on the same kind of "add value" for enjoy your ride.

For the price, I do a 5 days cruise to Tamba, FL / Mexico / Tampa, FL. On that boat, they charge $1.99 per minute. The $1.60 per minute seem cheap to me (for a begin). This only could become cheaper with popularity.

fightingslu

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
planes should have talking and non-talking sections- and maybe make people take a test before the flight demonstrating that they can control they volume of their voice

Nirvalica

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
How is someone talking on the phone any different from someone talking to the person next to them? It's not any louder or more obnoxious....

G

"How is someone talking on the phone any different from someone talking to the person next to them? It's not any louder or more obnoxious...."

Because nobody is talking to their friends RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. Usually you hear some people talking in the distance, because they bought tickets together and are sitting next to each other. Even if it's one row up, there some distance. But imagine having someone about 12 inches from your head blabbing their mouth directly towards you. At least if they're talking to a friend their mouths and projecting the sound away from your ear. But on a cellphone, they are projecting straight forward or even in your direction. This would be VERY ANNOYING.

I'd rather have the plane be a place where electronic communications cannot reach. People already have a hard time following manners on the bus and trains, and the plane won't be any different.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Wi-fi would be way better! I can't see how its going to be good cellphones in airplanes, imagine like 17 ppl talking in their phones around you, I hope some plane crash and they stop this madness!

Status
Not open for further replies.