Virgin Media - bad service (UK) - better ISP?

jrockpunk1

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Firstly, most of this post is pasted from another forum. I need to get as many opinions on this as possible.

Since January our connection has been intermittently shoddy with a supposedly 100mb fibre-optic connection going to <5mb, 200+ ping and 200+jitter. When it does happen, it happens frequently (as in for hours on end every day). The worst it ever got was in March, I believe, when it was at this low point 95% of every day. I was lucky to get in 30 minutes of "decent" connection. I've been on the phone to, been on the forums with, and been face-to-face to various employees of virgin media, all of which have done nothing to help. Engineers have conveniently been around when the internet was not playing up so said "lol it's fine", those on the forums gave us dates for fixes in our local area (due to "high utilisation in your area) that, when passed, were changed to even later.

We've had a new superhub and completely new wiring (they changed some stuff in the green box down the street and also on the outside/inside of my house, as well as giving us a new hub).

I'm still getting terrible speeds nearly every night for 2+ hours (sometimes from 6pm to 3am when I go to bed late). This has been happening for months, I've been on to their support who've checked our connection many times, gave us bogus fix dates for "high utilisation in our area", told us our power levels are fine etc etc.

Now that this last resort has failed, I'm convinced it's just shoddy VM connection in our area.

Here's a current Speedtest:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2231652857.png
Pingtest:
http://www.pingtest.net/result/70530697.png

Tracert:
C:\Users\Automaton>tracert 194.168.4.100

Tracing route to cache1.service.virginmedia.net [194.168.4.100]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 92 ms * 7 ms 10.7.104.1
2 56 ms 205 ms 32 ms wolv-core-2a-ae9-612.network.virginmedia.net [80
.3.146.57]
3 12 ms 6 ms 119 ms wolv-core-1a-pc200.network.virginmedia.net [212.
43.163.242]
4 * 47 ms 9 ms wolv-sm-1-ge145.network.virginmedia.net [86.28.8
8.210]
5 * 158 ms 16 ms cache1.service.virginmedia.net [194.168.4.100]

Trace complete.

What should I do?
If I switch to sky, will the service be any better?
I just want to pay for a reliable ISP that will deliver 20ms and 0-5 jitter consistently, as well as a consistent downloads speed of 10mb+. I don't want to have to not watch videos, play games, stream or download anything at any point because of intermittant lag.

Will changing ISP resolve this? Or does my area affect ALL ISP's? Also, which ISP is best? (for the UK).

jrockpunk1

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Wired, tried both the normal hub mode and the "modem mode" with all wireless disabled on the hub. Was also this bad before "upgrading" from a normal modem to a superhub.

G

Ah OK, I had a similar issue when "upgrading" from the old cable modem to the ironically named SuperHub, but mine was only on wireless clients. Sounds to be a different issue to the one I experienced.