Virtual Cockpits

Hi Group

Yesterday I downloaded a KittyHawk 737-800 from AVSIM.
Excellent aircraft and no problems - except: there is no virtual cockpit.

I'm guessing this is a file that could be copied over from the -400 but
being fairly new, I don't want to go poking around changing things in case I
mess up.

Any pointers please?

Also, related but different, does anyone model the passenger cabins. It's a
bit weird looking round and just seeing the wings with nothing in the middle
:)

TIA
Dave UK

"Dave Potter" wrote:

> Hi Group
>
> Yesterday I downloaded a KittyHawk 737-800 from AVSIM.
> Excellent aircraft and no problems - except: there is no virtual cockpit.
> I'm guessing this is a file that could be copied over from the -400 but
> being fairly new, I don't want to go poking around changing things in case
> mess up.

I dont think so, Dave. The VC is a part of the model and not a separate
file.
If there is no 2D Panel, thats no problem. You can use any other.

> Any pointers please?
> Also, related but different, does anyone model the passenger cabins. It's
> bit weird looking round and just seeing the wings with nothing in the
> middle

There are models with passenger cabins, as far as i know, payware only, but
somebody please may correct me if i'm wrong.

Jan

Thanks for the advice Jan.
I won't go looking then :))

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:31:57 GMT, Dave Potter wrote:
> Yesterday I downloaded a KittyHawk 737-800 from AVSIM.
> Excellent aircraft and no problems - except: there is no virtual cockpit.
>
> I'm guessing this is a file that could be copied over from the -400 but
> being fairly new, I don't want to go poking around changing things in case I
> mess up.

The Virtual Cockpit is part of the .mdl file... The .mdl either has one, or
it does not. You cannot "copy over" the VC from one aircraft to another...

Bill

Bill,
This has brought up a question that I have been wondering about for soem
time. How hard is it to add a virtual cockpit to an aircrafts .mdl file?
What programs are needed? Can a pre-existing .mdl file be modified to
include a virtual cockpit? What programs are needed to do this? I have
several very nice aircraft that would be perfect, except that they have no
virtual cockpits. I also have an aircraft that I love to fly that does have
a virtual cockpit, but the virtual cockpit is at such a low resolution that
the guages are almost useless and because it is at such a low resolution the
panel suffers badly from the "jaggies". Can this panel be modified to
display at a higher resolution?

Randy L.

"Randy L." wrote:

> [..]
> This has brought up a question that I have been wondering about for soem
> time. How hard is it to add a virtual cockpit to an aircrafts .mdl file?

It's just as hard as to model an aircraft.

> What programs are needed?

Any compatible 3D editing software, GMAX or FSD for example.

> Can a pre-existing .mdl file be modified to include a virtual cockpit?

No, this file is already "compiled" and is no longer editable. (afaik)

> What programs are needed to do this? I have several very nice aircraft
> that would be perfect, except that they have no virtual cockpits.

I dont fly models without VC, but many dont fly models *with* VC. Seems to
be a matter of taste.

> I also have an aircraft that I love to fly that does have a virtual
> cockpit, but the virtual cockpit is at such a low resolution that the
> guages are almost useless and because it is at such a low resolution the
> panel suffers badly from the "jaggies". Can this panel be modified to
> display at a higher resolution?

Yes, the textures and gauges of the 2D Panel and the VC can be edited with
several Tools, like Micro Application's FSrepaint, f.e.. It's not easy to do
this, but some days of intensive study should help.

Jan

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:12:37 -0700, Randy L. wrote:

> Bill,
> This has brought up a question that I have been wondering about for soem
> time. How hard is it to add a virtual cockpit to an aircrafts .mdl file?

It's not hard at all; it is impossible...

> What programs are needed? Can a pre-existing .mdl file be modified to
> include a virtual cockpit? What programs are needed to do this?

None. Existing .mdl files cannot be decompiled and modified... thankfully!
I say "thankfully" because otherwise there would be NO commercial products
for us to choose from, and even freeware would languish on the vine. Very
few people would be happy having six to eight months of their work "ripped
off" and remarketed as someone else's work.

I have
> several very nice aircraft that would be perfect, except that they have no
> virtual cockpits. I also have an aircraft that I love to fly that does have
> a virtual cockpit, but the virtual cockpit is at such a low resolution that
> the guages are almost useless and because it is at such a low resolution the
> panel suffers badly from the "jaggies". Can this panel be modified to
> display at a higher resolution?

Check the panel.cfg file's [vcockpitXX] entries. If the defined pixel size
is only 512,512 you can try increasing the entry to 1024,1024 to double the
resolution. If there are already at 1024,1024 there's nothing more that
may be done...

Bill

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:41:11 +0100, Jan Berg wrote:

> "Randy L." wrote:
>
>> [..]
>> This has brought up a question that I have been wondering about for soem
>> time. How hard is it to add a virtual cockpit to an aircrafts .mdl file?
>
> It's just as hard as to model an aircraft.

Actually, it's harder if you're going to do it right... The reason is
simple: the VC is more "in your face" than the exterior model, so uber
detail is needed along with stellar textures to make it a pleasant
environment.

Check out the Cirrus SR20G2's VC progress here:

http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=1111457903

Bill