"Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid."

Status
Not open for further replies.

When I launch a 16-bit DOS application in a command-shell window, I get
the error message:

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers, VDD. Virtual
Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application. [Close] [Ignore]

I get the same results regardless of which DOS application I run.

If I click 'Close' then the application does not run. However, if
I click 'Ignore' then the application runs normally. In that case,
after I quit the application I can run it again, or any other DOS
application, in the same command shell window without getting the error
message again. However if I close that window and open a new one, then
again I get the above error the first time I launch a DOS application
in that new window.

I looked into my registry with regedit, and found the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
It had the following value:
Name: VDD
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Value: C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL
I have Norton Anti Virus installed, and the file does exist:
12/20/2004 04:58p 83,664 bytes S32EVNT1.DLL

As an experiment, I deleted the VDD value entirely, but got the same
results. I checked on another system (without Norton Antivirus) and
found the value VDD to exist and be empty (just two nulls). I created
one like that on my system, and now I can launch DOS apps without
getting the error. But I wonder why I had the problem in the first
place? Have I lost my anti-virus protection?

- Rich

Virtual Device Driver Error Message in 16-Bit MS-DOS Subsystem
;254914]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];254914

The article is pretty straight-forward. You'll need to use regedt32.exe.
regedit.exe cannot create Reg_Multi_Sz strings. If you need to recreate the
VirtualDeviceDrivers key; highlight the key (in the left-hand pane), then
Edit|Delete Then (in the left-hand pane) position the cursor on the
"Control" key, (so you'll be creating directly under "Control") then
Edit|Add Key, then for the "Key Name:"
VirtualDeviceDrivers
You can leave the "Class:" blank Then proceed with steps four through seven.

Make sure your doing this logged on as local administrator.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Rich Pasco" wrote:
| When I launch a 16-bit DOS application in a command-shell window, I get
| the error message:
|
| SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers, VDD. Virtual
| Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'Close' to
| terminate the application. [Close] [Ignore]
|
| I get the same results regardless of which DOS application I run.
|
| If I click 'Close' then the application does not run. However, if
| I click 'Ignore' then the application runs normally. In that case,
| after I quit the application I can run it again, or any other DOS
| application, in the same command shell window without getting the error
| message again. However if I close that window and open a new one, then
| again I get the above error the first time I launch a DOS application
| in that new window.
|
| I looked into my registry with regedit, and found the key
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
| It had the following value:
| Name: VDD
| Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
| Value: C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL
| I have Norton Anti Virus installed, and the file does exist:
| 12/20/2004 04:58p 83,664 bytes S32EVNT1.DLL
|
| As an experiment, I deleted the VDD value entirely, but got the same
| results. I checked on another system (without Norton Antivirus) and
| found the value VDD to exist and be empty (just two nulls). I created
| one like that on my system, and now I can launch DOS apps without
| getting the error. But I wonder why I had the problem in the first
| place? Have I lost my anti-virus protection?
|
| - Rich

Thanks, Dave, that did the trick!

Unable to create a Reg_Multi_Sz string with regedit, I had already fixed
it by exporting the key from the known good machine as a .reg file and
importing it into the problem machine. This effected the same fix as
described on the web site--with a null string for the VDD value.

Using regedt32, I was able to edit the repaired key to set it back to
the Norton Antivirus file, which now seems to work correctly too.
I don't know how it had gotten corrupted, but it seems OK now.

Thanks again for your help.

- Rich

Dave Patrick wrote:

> Virtual Device Driver Error Message in 16-Bit MS-DOS Subsystem
> ;254914]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];254914
>
> The article is pretty straight-forward. You'll need to use regedt32.exe.
> regedit.exe cannot create Reg_Multi_Sz strings. If you need to recreate the
> VirtualDeviceDrivers key; highlight the key (in the left-hand pane), then
> Edit|Delete Then (in the left-hand pane) position the cursor on the
> "Control" key, (so you'll be creating directly under "Control") then
> Edit|Add Key, then for the "Key Name:"
> VirtualDeviceDrivers
> You can leave the "Class:" blank Then proceed with steps four through seven.
>
> Make sure your doing this logged on as local administrator.

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.