Question Virtual Disk Manager problem! cannot create a New Simple Volume(HELP!)

WinDroidTech

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
So recently on this PC I wanted to dual boot install Kali Linux, so I shirked my D- Drive 20GB and went to create a new simple volume and went on to create a new simple volume and this error came up :
Screenshot-92.png

I tried all the available solutions on the internet which says to change my drive to MBR, GPT etc. but none of them worked. Besides I cannot afford to format this PC and loose files. So if anybody know some help by which I can fix this and create new volume. Thanks for reading and sorry for my rusty English.

Ralston18

Titan
First:

Back up all important files and verify that the files are recoverable and readable.

You should be doing that in any case. All the more so when changing or otherwise managing drive configurations, partitioning etc..

Second:

Take another screenshot and post the Disk Management window without the error message over top of the Disk 0 information.

Third:

What procedure, if any, are you following to create the dual boot drive? For example:

https://www.ceos3c.com/hacking/inst...p 4 – Setting up the SWAP, 2GB 6 more rows

Reference link only and may not be applicable to your immediate requirements.

Note the warnings with respect to UEFI and Legacy.

Reactions: WinDroidTech

WinDroidTech

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
First:
Okay backed up my important files and installers on my mobile.

Second: Here's the clean screenshot
Screenshot-93.png

Third: Yes my procedure is identical to what you gave in example.
Download iso- use rufus to create bootable- install on the free partition.
But my problem lies here with the error when I try to create a partition for installation.

Ralston18

Titan
BIOS Mode = Legacy.

And I understand that you wish to keep your current Windows installation.,

From the link I provided in Post #2:

"I say this out loud: IF YOU RUN ON LEGACY AND YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION INTACT – DO N O T FOLLOW THIS GUIDE!
However, if you run LEGACY and you don’t care and are willing to re-install Windows 10 in UEFI to run Kali and Windows 10 in Dual Boot, go ahead and change your BIOS to UEFI, install a fresh Windows 10 and then proceed with this guide."

Conclusion being that you will need a different guide to install Kali.

20 GB Partition

Confirm: you want to shrink D: drive (current at 365.76 GB) by 20 GB to create a new 20 GB drive (E:) to host Kali - correct?

Where is the process of doing so does that error window appear?

Overall, full disclosure, I am not sure what is going astray. However, the current objective is to clarify what you are doing and how it is being done.

Hopefully someone will recognize the problem.

WinDroidTech

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
BIOS Mode = Legacy.

And I understand that you wish to keep your current Windows installation.,

From the link I provided in Post #2:

"I say this out loud: IF YOU RUN ON LEGACY AND YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT WINDOWS 10 INSTALLATION INTACT – DO N O T FOLLOW THIS GUIDE!
However, if you run LEGACY and you don’t care and are willing to re-install Windows 10 in UEFI to run Kali and Windows 10 in Dual Boot, go ahead and change your BIOS to UEFI, install a fresh Windows 10 and then proceed with this guide."

Conclusion being that you will need a different guide to install Kali.

20 GB Partition

Confirm: you want to shrink D: drive (current at 365.76 GB) by 20 GB to create a new 20 GB drive (E:) to host Kali - correct?

Where is the process of doing so does that error window appear?

Overall, full disclosure, I am not sure what is going astray. However, the current objective is to clarify what you are doing and how it is being done.

Hopefully someone will recognize the problem.
Yes all above you said is right.
The problem lies when I try to make a new simple volume(partition) after I separated 20GB from D-disk as unallocated space.

I wasn't ware of the bios things, I had once previously installed Linux on my previous PC as dual boot. All this problem is here with this error in this PC.

Foraging through the internet I found guides to convert my Disk to MBR from GPT. But those 3rdparty apps are not showing option to convert to MBR, and are instead showing option to convert to GPT. So I can assume my disk is already MBR. I rebuilt the MBR but no help.