[SOLVED] Virtual machine and GPU software

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Hello everyone. I recently bought a Horizon Zero Dawn for PC but I can't launch the game, I get the black screen after language selection. I get a prompt window that I need the newest driver (using AMD Radeon RX 590 so they demand I get 20.7.2 version of the Adrenalin software) but there's a catch...

Installing ANY of the 2020 drivers makes my GPU +13C hotter in any game. I've tried lowering clock from 1560 to literally 780 but the temps were still unbearable. Trying to return to to old driver from 2019 I got my Windows crashed and couldn't get the system running again, so I had to do a clean install over again (yay...). Once I was done with that, I got my 2019 driver installed and once again my temps were stable and low (up to 71C at max in comparison to 83C-86C with any 2020 driver and lowered clocks...)

Now, the only thing that gets to my mind is the virtual machine thingie, and the question:
Can I install a different GPU software on the virtual machine and keep the one I have on the "normal" Windows?

I DEFINITELY want to keep my 2019 driver and not ever again exceed safe temps, but I also need the stupid 2020 driver to play the game Horizon Zero Dawn. So, is it possible?

Solution
Now, the only thing that gets to my mind is the virtual machine thingie, and the question:
Can I install a different GPU software on the virtual machine and keep the one I have on the "normal" Windows?
While VM can use the host GPU for acceleration,you can not install any drivers in the VM since windows will not see the actual GPU but only what VM shows it,even if you install the drivers somehow the drivers will also not be able to see the actual hardware.
While VM can use the host GPU for acceleration,you can not install any drivers in the VM since windows will not see the actual GPU but only what VM shows it,even if you install the drivers somehow the drivers will also not be able to see the actual hardware.

Solution

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Heck...Well, thanks for a very fast answer, saved me from troubles and losing time. Appreciated.