Question Virtual machines on HDD & OS on SSD (or vice versa) ?

Jun 18, 2021
I have a computer with SSD where OS is installed, but the same disk also keeps my virtual machine images (large .qcow2 files).
It works fine.

Now I wonder... On this computer the installed OS is a really minimal Linux Debian installation with just 4 minimal programs installed.
Could I benefit if I used some old HDD and installed OS there while keeping SSD exclusively for virtual machine images storage?

Keep them on the SSD. It would be much, much slower, especially when more than one VM got busy with something like updates.

I ran multiple VMs on a WD Black 300GB 10k RPM drive once upon a time. Windows updates was painful.

Jun 18, 2021
So if I understood correctly performance will suffer even if I use OS on one SSD and VMs on another SSD compared to keeping OS & VMs on the same single SSD!? How come?
If this is true than I really need one of those PCI 4.0 NVMe drives... 7000MB/s is preety good don't you think?

What else would benefit my VM server the most compared to a fast SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
So if I understood correctly performance will suffer even if I use OS on one SSD and VMs on another SSD compared to keeping OS & VMs on the same single SSD!? How come?
If this is true than I really need one of those PCI 4.0 NVMe drives... 7000MB/s is preety good don't you think?

What else would benefit my VM server the most compared to a fast SSD?
No.
2x SSD are better than one. 1 for the OS, 1 for the VM's.
1x SSD is better than HDD + SSD.
PCIe 4.0 drive is of no consequence in this scenario. That "7000MB/s" is for large sequential data. Not small back and forth as the VMs will be doing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS