Question Virtual Memory just exploded

Nov 26, 2021
Hello Everyone,

So I was just installing some programs 30 minutes ago and I noticed that the usage of my C drive was rising and went completely wild, with sluggish performances.
After checking the task manager, I noticed that my memory was at 99% usage and I found out that my virtual memory just has exploded to a fat 100gb in like a few minutes.

After restarting, everything is back to normal except that the VM is still piercing the roof, having doubled the usage on my drive. It is the first time it happened, the usage of the system has always been rock steady. ANy clue of why it happened and also, how to get the VM back to normal ?

Help would be really appreciated... Thanks

Nov 26, 2021
For info, VM litteraly gained 86gb in a few minutes. I understand it was to compensate the high memory usage, taht I don' t understand yet, but hell, that's a lot.

Are you running a VM on this OS?
Remember that VMs take up a LOT of space. If you assign the VM a 50GB drive thick provisioned you just lost 50GBs of space. Add to that paging, swap, and memory allocations and it'll fill up a 100GB drive fast. If it's a thin provisioned drive it will only take what is needed but a standard Windows install will still eat up 30GBs from the start. Also note that images used to install the virtual OS also take up space.

Nov 26, 2021
To be more precise,

It is a 1TB SSD in which I only have windows installed until now. I was just installing some games from common online library such as steam, while browsing youtube and mails and I' ve got this issue.
Now the virtual memory won't go down. I know it vary sometimes but not so much.

The paging of windows is set to be automatic, with around 5gb of recommended use, but right now it has 94gb allocated. It usually turn around 5gb as windows recommend.

I didnt try to set myself the min and max virtual memory usage because I never done this and I don' t want to mess things up, is that a solution ?

Nov 26, 2021
I did, now the memory is back to normal, tho I did set a custom apging myself as SkyNetRising suggeted.
Now it is back at 4.76 gb, which is quite a relief to be honest. I did try to reboot with the automatic paging of Windows but it didn' t work at that time.

Tho I read that custom paging should be set to 1.5x your ram at minimum and 3x your RAM at max.
Which in my case would be closer to 48gb min and 98gb max Right ? what's even the meaning of this restriction ?