[SOLVED] Virtual Memory?

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Is Virtual Memory something i should mess around with or have my system automatically do its own thing with that? Or does each physical drive that i own have to have virtual memory? Only reason is asking is because i was playing warzone and it crashed on me (like always) (can never fix the problem) but i brought up task manager and it says my virtual memory was low and the only two things it showed was the battlenet launcher and the game itself being used. I know this forum isn’t much for games but i didnt know where else to go to. My current specs are
I9-10850k
Msi z490 gaming plus
4 sticks of gskil ram 3200mhz (32gb total)
Gtx 1080 ti
And a superflower leadex III 80 plus gold 850w psu

Solution
I don’t quite understand
SSDs require a certain amount of "free" space to operate at nominal performance. This free space can either be literally free space on the partition, a part of the SSD that wasn't assigned a partition, or some space that the firmware won't let you access. They need this free space because of the way flash memory operates. Flash memory cannot flip any bit it wants, unlike a hard drive. It has to erase pages of data before it can reuse that part of flash memory. Pages typically are 256KB to 4MB in size; it depends on the drive. However, when an SSD wants to recoup a page for later, some of the data in there may still be valid, so it has to copy this data somewhere before erasing the page. Having more free...
You should have one page file on your fastest drive, having 32Gb of real ram you could keep this small or just let windows handle it. Some crucial windows features use the page file so it's not recommended to turn it off completely.
Everything on your system uses ram so it's impossible that only the launcher and the game was using any.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
You should have one page file on your fastest drive, having 32Gb of real ram you could keep this small or just let windows handle it. Some crucial windows features use the page file so it's not recommended to turn it off completely.
Everything on your system uses ram so it's impossible that only the launcher and the game was using any.
My S drive which is the samsung 980 1tb is the one with all my games on it and wdym page file? I don’t have it off atm my C drive which has windows on it is only a 120gb ssd which only has 17.5 gb left of room which is only using 4982 mb of virtual memory, the others i have do not have any i just put some on my S drive where my games are, i watched a youtube video about it where you multiply your ram by 1mb then times it by 3 if im correct for the minimum and maximum amount of virtual memory

Just leave the page file on C , you have a lot of real ram so it's ok, don't have page file on the same disk as your games since then the OS has to switch between game and page file which can hurt performance.

There is no standard way of calculating how much you need since it heavily depends on what you do, most games are made for 16Gb if not for 8GB so with 32Gb there is very little need for page file unless you load up tons of add ridden web pages on chrome.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Just leave the page file on C , you have a lot of real ram so it's ok, don't have page file on the same disk as your games since then the OS has to switch between game and page file which can hurt performance.

There is no standard way of calculating how much you need since it heavily depends on what you do, most games are made for 16Gb if not for 8GB so with 32Gb there is very little need for page file unless you load up tons of add ridden web pages on chrome.
What do you mean leave the front page file on c? The whole thing was left on “automatically managing page files size for all drives” my c drives doesn’t have enough room. Only a little bit for virtual memory. Im confused on what to do

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
What do you mean leave the front page file on c? The whole thing was left on “automatically managing page files size for all drives” my c drives doesn’t have enough room. Only a little bit for virtual memory. Im confused on what to do
i think he meant to uncheck the "automatically..." option and set it manually to Drive C , so other drives won't have VM

btw i've read somewhere this: "Ideally, your paging file size should be 1.5 times your physical memory at a minimum and up to 4 times the physical memory at most to ensure system stability. For example, say your system has 8 GB RAM ", so if u want to set it manually, set it according to the quote .

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
i think he meant to uncheck the "automatically..." option and set it manually to Drive C , so other drives won't have VM

btw i've read somewhere this: "Ideally, your paging file size should be 1.5 times your physical memory at a minimum and up to 4 times the physical memory at most to ensure system stability. For example, say your system has 8 GB RAM ", so if u want to set it manually, set it according to the quote .
Ok makes sense, i just watched a video or so and i got the impression i should add VM to the drive my games are on but i saw something else. But right now my C drive that has windows, is system managed, and i clicked on “no paging file” for my S drive that has warzone on it. And the automatic paging file is unchecked also. Hopefully itll fix my issue

I don’t have it off atm my C drive which has windows on it is only a 120gb ssd which only has 17.5 gb left of room which is only using 4982 mb of virtual memory
Having very little free space on SSD reduces drive performance significantly.

Put pagefile on some other drive, where you have more free space.
On drive C: set pagefile to fixed size 16MB initial, 16MB max.
On some other drive set pagefile to 1GB initial 16GB max (where you have enough free space).

Please list model names of all your storage devices and show screenshot from Disk Management.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Having very little free space on SSD reduces drive performance significantly.

Put pagefile on some other drive, where you have more free space.
On drive C: set pagefile to fixed size 16MB initial, 16MB max.
On some other drive set pagefile to 1GB initial 16GB max (where you have enough free space).

Please list model names of all your storage devices and show screenshot from Disk Management.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I don’t quite understand

I don’t quite understand
SSDs require a certain amount of "free" space to operate at nominal performance. This free space can either be literally free space on the partition, a part of the SSD that wasn't assigned a partition, or some space that the firmware won't let you access. They need this free space because of the way flash memory operates. Flash memory cannot flip any bit it wants, unlike a hard drive. It has to erase pages of data before it can reuse that part of flash memory. Pages typically are 256KB to 4MB in size; it depends on the drive. However, when an SSD wants to recoup a page for later, some of the data in there may still be valid, so it has to copy this data somewhere before erasing the page. Having more free space on the SSD helps with this.

In any case, I'm curious what pointed you to thinking you were running out of virtual memory. Can you post a screenshot of what you were looking at, preferably at the time you think it's running low on virtual memory?

To post a screen shot here, you have to upload it to an image hosting place like ibb.co or imgur.com, then post the link here.

Solution