trevster

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
hello, just wondering why does windows recommended paging file suggest 4606mb when i can't set it to anything higher than 4096mb?
Sorry if its a stupid question.
Thanks.

It isn't a stupid question, however I am inclined to ask you a counter question of, "Why are you asking?"

Most people never make their way to the screen where you would see this information or care what is on it.

I am just wondering what brought you there in the first place, because changing this setting is more of a means to an end than an end in itself.

If you want to change this setting it must be because you have some sort of problem and you think it would help, which problem is that exactly?

Windows by Default sets the Page File to the amount of RAM that's installed, so I assume you have 3GB of RAM (3GB*1024MB/GB = 3072MB initial/ 4096MB ; 1.5X) recommended. Example Windows tried to set mine to 32GB (32768MB/49116MB ; 1.5X) well on a 180GB SSD there's no way i was 'okay' with that and set it to 2048MB/2048MB.

/edit - since some applications require some form of Virtual Memory or that a Page File is present I don't recommend that you turn it off. Further, if it's on a HDD and not SSD then let Windows manage it. You 'can' also move it to a HDD if you have an SSD (primary drive) or to a Flash Drive,

trevster

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

The reason i wanted to know is because i've just upgraded my ram, and was aware that my pagefile would change, and thought it was really strange that windows suggested the amount that i cannot set it to.

trevster

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Yes i do have 3GB of RAM.
Do you suggest i let windows manage my pagefile or should i set it to something else?
At the moment its set to: initial size=3071 and maximum size=4095.
Thanks.

trevster

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Thanks mate! :D

TRENDING THREADS