Question Virtual OSX Server does not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I'm trying to install MAC OSX 10.8 Server on a VMware ESXi host. Booting the ISO results in a grey screen with the VMware logo on it. There are no errors either on the console or in the ESXi logs, has anyone experienced this and know of a solution, I've looked through the VMware KB articles but can't find anything like this issue.

TIA

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Yeah, you need a bootable CD image to launch your VMware image correctly each time the VM starts. I forget the name of the one I used, but they exist. I am not in front of my ESXi server right now so I can't give you that info. It's the same thing running virtual OSX in Workstation.

I haven't tried to integrate it into a VM installation because I use mine just for testing and not for production, but there may be a way to do that. When I recently made my 10.8 VM, I was able to use the bootable CD image I used on my 10.6 VM.

I just looked into it and there is a way to integrate it. These instructions might help you (probably applicable even though it's 10.7 and not 10.8.) Hope this helps!

Hi,

I'm trying to install MAC OSX 10.8 Server on a VMware ESXi host. Booting the ISO results in a grey screen with the VMware logo on it. There are no errors either on the console or in the ESXi logs, has anyone experienced this and know of a solution, I've looked through the VMware KB articles but can't find anything like this issue.

TIA

OSX cannot legally be virtualized except on Apple hardware and VMWare doesn't support it. Thus, it will not run on VMWare Workstation or ESX without some unsupported workarounds.

G

It's being virtualised via ESXi 5.1 on a 2-3 yr old Mac Pro, well trying to be at any rate.

Sorry confused about VMware not supporting it as they have published this > http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/MacOSX_10_8.html

@ benji720 - I think that's more to do with ready made virtual images isn't it? This is a proper pucker install with paid for OSX and a Mac Pro.

G

Thanks Ijack, I'll try this and see how it goes. Though the issue it's reporting here is hanging on the Apple boot screen, my attempt doesn't even get that far, will try it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.