Virtual PC

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Yesterday I reinstalled windows XP because I was having all kinds of problems. I installed it everything works fine. So then to make sure I won't get spyware again, crashing, and other problems I set up a virtual PC with windows XP again. The Host Pc will do everything important on, play games, and keep important files on there and such. And the virtual machine I will browse the net and other things.

Today I went to go check for spy ware on the Host PC and it found 7 already. I haven't even really browsed the internet on that one. Just Toms hardware, Newegg, Gmail, Hotmail, and download.com I don't think I went anyware else. Do one of these sites have spyware on them? The Virtual Pc only came up as 4 and I went on to sites were I would think some of the worst spyware would be.

Is the spyware coming through the virtual PC to the host PC? Can the Virtual PC transfer anything to my computer that is potentially dangerous? The host Pc has firewalls and the other whole 9 yards of protection. The virtual machine has Spybot only.

P.S. Also why does virtual PC crash everytime I try to share a folder between the Host and the Virtual PC?

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
ah i hate virtual pc man, i mean it's supposed to serve well for your purpose and goal, but i find virtual server a lot more stable, altho what u're doing is pretty extreme just to keep spyware out

your host box and your virtual pc box can cause each other to be infected since your virtual system is bridged with your LAN connection to hit the internet

i'd invest in a better spyware protection software and bump up your internet explorer's security settings and cookie settings

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
most of times you can't get a spy with just visiting one site or oneother.
usuually they are downloaded with other software and installed when you install your software.
i recomend you disable active x in the internet options since it may used
to install different components,
run a good antispy program
www.lavasoft.de
keep in your mind that even windows by itsself install some kind of spyware.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
since this one is virtual pc (uses the same hardware and same components)
i do not think is there a way to not connected one with the other.
maby it would be a more workable the option to make partions
in your hdd and set different os on each.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
well...if you install a microsoft loopback adaptor on the host box...but errr, that'll still use your own main local area network as a gateway or bridge, so no, not really

TRENDING THREADS