Virtual Systemsware

Hi,

In the absence of adequate testing facilities I wish to set up a virtual
remote office with a variety of operating systems. I have a fairly powerful
spare Dell server and I am proposing to use VMware, Virtual Pc etc to host
these virtual servers and workstations.
Does anyone have any guidance on which is the more suitable product for my
needs. I will require it to host NT (server DC, WS), W2K (DC and WS), XP and
W2K3.

Regards,

Gerry

Either should work, they have slightly different feature sets. You will probably
want to look at both and test for what you need to do. Most people tend to find
that VMWARE has the edge in terms of performance.

joe

www.joeware.net

gjb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the absence of adequate testing facilities I wish to set up a virtual
> remote office with a variety of operating systems. I have a fairly powerful
> spare Dell server and I am proposing to use VMware, Virtual Pc etc to host
> these virtual servers and workstations.
> Does anyone have any guidance on which is the more suitable product for my
> needs. I will require it to host NT (server DC, WS), W2K (DC and WS), XP and
> W2K3.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gerry

I personally use Virtual PC at home for the SKUs you mentioned. If VPC isn't
enough, check out the Virtual Server version:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/vmnews.mspx

Some people like VMware more, but VPC is sufficient for me.

Regards,
/Jimmy
--
Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB