Question virtual working

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruck nova

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Hey guys so recently i got a good pc with r5 3600x and gtx 1660 super

there are so many old pc at my home

since they were slow i thought of making them use the resources from my new system.

my problem here is, i dont wanna install windwos in all those laptops, open vmware client and connect my pc,

instead i want an OS like thing which can work withot windwos and connect to my new pc

any helps??

You need an OS to make these old computers boot and connect. It might be Linux, or Windows - it does not matter, after all, as long as there's VmWare client for them.

But - how do you plan to use them? Are you going to install several VMs on your PC so that each client has its own VM to connect to?

cruck nova

Reputable
May 5, 2020
isnt there any os from vmware for only sole purpose of connecting

because when i was in 9th class i went to an institute where they use vmware exsi on a main server and we used to connect to them using a mini pc or client pc its more like a box.

What you're looking for is VDI. There's not really any simple solutions that will run at low latency. It exists for large businesses but they are paying 5x what a pc costs for vmware or citrix.

Something simple like chrome remote desktop is going to be decent performance. With ubuntu installed on the pc and the google version of chrome you can remote in fairly easily. This would require all of them to be logged into the same google account which you might not want.

If you really want to spend a lot of time and effort there is full fledged VDI software thats free and has good 2D performance on windows virtual machines. proxmox with a recompiled spice that adds gstreamer, the nvidia driver installed, and windows machines running the QXL driver. This utilizes the NVENC encoder which has limitations on GTX cards to 3 streams. It's uncapped on all their newer professional cards and only limited on resources of that card. spice has encryption as well this could be used over the internet.

nvidia moonlight to an nvidia shield (mouse keyboard works) has insanely high performance and runs 2D/3D. sub 1ms latency with h265. no encryption on this wouldn't use over the internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.