• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Virtualization on Ryzen

dhrubo216

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
Planning to get a build around Ryzen 5 1600 . I found mixed opinions about virtualization on Ryzen cpus. Amd-v may not be as mature/supported as it's intel counterpart so I heard . Vmware and Android emulator of Android Studio seem not working properly as it should . Those things are important for me . I appreciate suggestions on whether I should go for Ryzen or stick to Intel 8th gen build.
Thanks.

Darkbreeze

Titan
I think the majority of Ryzen issues with virtualization had/have to do with memory support and also some lack of compatibility on Nvidia graphics cards. If you use a newer board with updated bios and an AMD GPU card, you will likely have a lot more success.

That being said, Intel's virtualization support is a lot more mature in most areas and performance per core plus the support for more and faster memory should also be factors that are considered. I personally, while I do recommond Ryzen in a lot of cases or at least am not against it's use, would want six or more core count, preferably also with hyperthreading, Intel platform if I was doing any significant level of VM usage. You'd have to buy a pretty expensive Ryzen chip and supporting hardware to get the same performance as a lower, likely much less expensive Intel CPU.

Darkbreeze

Titan
I think the majority of Ryzen issues with virtualization had/have to do with memory support and also some lack of compatibility on Nvidia graphics cards. If you use a newer board with updated bios and an AMD GPU card, you will likely have a lot more success.

That being said, Intel's virtualization support is a lot more mature in most areas and performance per core plus the support for more and faster memory should also be factors that are considered. I personally, while I do recommond Ryzen in a lot of cases or at least am not against it's use, would want six or more core count, preferably also with hyperthreading, Intel platform if I was doing any significant level of VM usage. You'd have to buy a pretty expensive Ryzen chip and supporting hardware to get the same performance as a lower, likely much less expensive Intel CPU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS