Virtualization on Ryzen

dhrubo216

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
Planning to get a build around Ryzen 5 1600 . I found mixed opinions about virtualization on Ryzen cpus. Amd-v may not be as mature/supported as it's intel counterpart so I heard . Vmware and Android emulator of Android Studio seem not working properly as it should . Those things are important for me . I appreciate suggestions on whether I should go for Ryzen or stick to Intel 8th gen build.
Thanks.

Solution
I think the majority of Ryzen issues with virtualization had/have to do with memory support and also some lack of compatibility on Nvidia graphics cards. If you use a newer board with updated bios and an AMD GPU card, you will likely have a lot more success.

That being said, Intel's virtualization support is a lot more mature in most areas and performance per core plus the support for more and faster memory should also be factors that are considered. I personally, while I do recommond Ryzen in a lot of cases or at least am not against it's use, would want six or more core count, preferably also with hyperthreading, Intel platform if I was doing any significant level of VM usage. You'd have to buy a pretty expensive Ryzen chip and...
I think the majority of Ryzen issues with virtualization had/have to do with memory support and also some lack of compatibility on Nvidia graphics cards. If you use a newer board with updated bios and an AMD GPU card, you will likely have a lot more success.

That being said, Intel's virtualization support is a lot more mature in most areas and performance per core plus the support for more and faster memory should also be factors that are considered. I personally, while I do recommond Ryzen in a lot of cases or at least am not against it's use, would want six or more core count, preferably also with hyperthreading, Intel platform if I was doing any significant level of VM usage. You'd have to buy a pretty expensive Ryzen chip and supporting hardware to get the same performance as a lower, likely much less expensive Intel CPU.

Solution