[SOLVED] Virtualization PC

May 3, 2020
Hi there

I am just after some advice.

I am looking at building my next Gaming PC but I am thinking is to build 1 pc but could run 2 gamers off it. I know I need 2 graphic cards for passthrough but what I am finding hard is to pick a CPU what would future proof me so I am not having to change out the motherboard or cpu because of games asking for more.

Many thanks

Craig

Solution
i'd enjoy configuring it as well. lots of fun there. you get to play with remote desktop and all the fun that comes with that.

having not done this before i can't say whether the lag introduced would be a big deal or not. from within the same house, it should be very minimal but though i have set-up and used remote desktops for lots of reasons, i have never done it with gaming in mind.

good luck, sounds like you've got most of it figured out as far as needed specs.

i don't know how much you know about such things but i wonder if you could use containers instead of a full os. much less overhead and i have used them to allow over 10 simulations users all working within in their own CLI on a rather low end vm. i've never made my own...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
lots of cores and lots of ram.

2 users would not share resources as it gets reserved for the vm upon creation.

so you'll want enough cores to fully run the game twice!! spend all you can and get all the physical cores you can. the 12 core ryzen would be the lowest i'd go so you get 6 cores for each vm. hyperthreading is not a physical core and will not give the same performance as a true core so don't count those extra threads when looking.

same with ram, you'll want more than double what the game requires so each gets all it can. don't forget to keep in mind the operating system also needs its resources.

might be easier to just build 2 systems but it would be fun to do anyway. sounds like a good project that will teach you a lot more than you probably think to get it working :)

May 3, 2020
i know about a lot of cores the minimum i have been looking at would be the 3900x but have being looking at 3950x what has 16 cores so a lot more room to play with if needed later on down the line. I know going for a Ryzen and not a AMD Threadripper has its disadvantage as only be able to run the graphic cards at 8x instead of 16x but is a lot cheaper.

The Ram i was looking at 32gb or even 64gb as that would give me enough to split between both user and the OS.

The reason why i thought one system is that i am having some work done in my house i was think that i could run the ports down the wall and into the walls what would mean then all they would need in a monitor mouse and keyboard as space in the house isn't great.

On top of all of that having fun building a system. :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd enjoy configuring it as well. lots of fun there. you get to play with remote desktop and all the fun that comes with that.

having not done this before i can't say whether the lag introduced would be a big deal or not. from within the same house, it should be very minimal but though i have set-up and used remote desktops for lots of reasons, i have never done it with gaming in mind.

good luck, sounds like you've got most of it figured out as far as needed specs.

i don't know how much you know about such things but i wonder if you could use containers instead of a full os. much less overhead and i have used them to allow over 10 simulations users all working within in their own CLI on a rather low end vm. i've never made my own container and only used ones readily available for firewalls and other such things. but it would be pretty cool if there was game specific containers available. i also am not sure you can even use them on windows machines like you can on windows server and linux machines.

but hey half the fun of this is learning something new as you make it happen. me personally, i'd never get to gaming as i'd keep tweaking and playing to make it run the best it can. then there's writing scripts and...........

Solution