Virtually a system update. LGA 1150 to X370. 4790k to 2700. Scale-able ascending degree of improvement?

HHocker

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hi,

Firstly I have come on here for years and years for great help, thank you.

The gap seems to be widening rapidly as far as dollar to value and, well, selling time.

My i7 4790K has been AMAZING but it has been hitting a wall lately and btw it still keeps going with new tasks. The slow downs are beginning multi tasking trans-coding and working with video while running a windowed game and streaming news.

I like the AMD Ryzen 2 2700.
Cores!
Same game performance or FAR better multi-cored.
Hugely better gains on video and most of my software --mostly multi-cored.
Vastly unused Intel options on the CPU.
Age. Bought my 4790k when it came out.
Reuse my Thermalright Venom X +kit.

4790K- sells for about $240
2700 - had on Ebay for $250

2700 not X since I like the settings for 65watt performance already set for downclocking. 200MHz is just enough to notice a difference for X vers. Not worth $60 extra. Thermaly set to run cooler is the Bonus. Reasoned well enough?

Upgrade from a GTX 970 SLI to one 1080ti? I have 3 monitors. One is 4k. Runs at 3840x2160 UHD HDR. Ill need 60Hz refresh.
The real disappointment is the GTX 970 SLI with too little advantage as it runs as a single card usually. Heat, etc, never 2+ cards again.
Most of this SLI will be available on 1 card.

As-Is broken 1070 Ebay'd EVGA RMA (reciept) for $250. Upgrade pasys for itself. Milder upgrade.
No cost option.

GPU options.
Used or new 1080ti for $320.
Thats the difference cost after the SLI sold though.

Is the Nvidia 1070 RMA slow-boat-savings a no brainer for at most $20.00? Seller is very kind says he will send the copy of the Newegg reciept.
970 sales cover it!

RAM?
Have to no choice.
Selling my Mushkin DDR3 2133MHz Redlines 16Gb 2x8 for about $150.

G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 2x8Gb (Flare) -$200
Sweet deal there. No performance gain as one component. Scales up through AM4 nicely though.

Motherboard.

Selling my Asus Z97-WS to the bit miner freaks for top dollar I hope. Holds its value for PCI lanes @ $230.00.
Buy into the older X370 updated with the latest BIOS
As new on Ebay saves even more money.
Asus ROG Hero VI.
$140.00

I have some of these deals now. Refundable. Not sure if I should turn back and just find myself doing this in 18 months anyway. DDR 5 would be around the corner. The actual COST of this upgrade isnt much though. I can use those cores.

370 chipset matured painfully to completion.
Its a scale-able speed upgrade if we look at the degrees of improvement overall, right?

Trying to be all impressive and everything hope it wasn't too long.
Thanks

Solution
Monetary side notwithstanding, 4790K still has slight IPC advantage, everything else is on R7 2700 side. Considering your wish for better CPU scaling without overclocking, I'd suggest you consider R7 2700x + X470 motherboard combination.
R7 2700x comes with better cooler and on a x470 MB can take better advantage of XFR2 built into 2700(x) chips. If left on auto, my setup ranges from 2100MHz to 4200MHz as needed by programs/games staying cool enough under full loads. X470 chipset also allows for faster RAM than x370, easy 3600MHz while x370 tops at 3200 if you are not willing to fiddle with it.
Forget about DDR5, it will require all new platforms anyway and is not a sure thing for at least next 2 years. By the time it reaches it's...
Monetary side notwithstanding, 4790K still has slight IPC advantage, everything else is on R7 2700 side. Considering your wish for better CPU scaling without overclocking, I'd suggest you consider R7 2700x + X470 motherboard combination.
R7 2700x comes with better cooler and on a x470 MB can take better advantage of XFR2 built into 2700(x) chips. If left on auto, my setup ranges from 2100MHz to 4200MHz as needed by programs/games staying cool enough under full loads. X470 chipset also allows for faster RAM than x370, easy 3600MHz while x370 tops at 3200 if you are not willing to fiddle with it.
Forget about DDR5, it will require all new platforms anyway and is not a sure thing for at least next 2 years. By the time it reaches it's full potential (judging by past experiences with RAM) it means 3 - 5 years. Plenty of time to consider new systems based on it and new, coming CPUs. New CPUs will be needed because memory controller is in it, not MB.

Solution

HHocker

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Meant to establish I've got a Thermalright Venom X and adapter kit. Best heat-sink investment since the original Hedghog.
Ive ordered two Noctua (ok) 120mm fans, their 2000rpm version, heard the 3000's were like blenders in your case.

See the CPU upgrade as more or less hardware health increase and a huge one vs a speed one.

I understood the X470 advantage to be in tech I don't use or have familiarity with yet ( f I'm old ..and feckless! lol) and the one I did like I decided to forego and that is RAM management tweaks or similarly more energy efficient but its not as interesting... . Bought an Asus ROG VI Hero with an updated BIOS from someone I trust for $140 even, total package. BIOS support for 3600. Was a lucky good pick of a X370.

Not a BAD build in all IMO. I'm enjoying your story. Thank you

Yeah, 1070 (non-Ti) a fine deal to replace two GTX 970's sli'd for ..$265?
Card needs to be RMA'd but verified everything ahead. Reciepts copied everything. Bought last October.
Thought why not it replaces the SLI at least 2 years for nothing except USPS runs.

Yup

I personally replaced x370 with same make and model with x470 just because of faster memory advantage (have Kingston 3600) to use with 2700x for longevity, not counting on any upgrades for at least 4 -5 years. As I'm retired I don't need anything better any longer. That combination takes advantage of every aspect of CPU and RAM.
For that money it's great MB. enjoy !

HHocker

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
So CountMike man you left me what happened to us?

ha.

Just wanted to ad I went with the 2600X since I bought the thing sold as new. Its lower core speed is depressing. Its more than fine though for a work and game combo --shines.

Thanks for the blood... .