Virus causes white page after login, cannot start in safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrigwf14

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hello,

I had several tabs open in IE and all of a sudden the entire page went white. After restarting my computer and logging in, the desktop icons disappeared and the screen turned white again.

I tried starting my computer in safe mode and safe mode with networking. After logging in, I was immediately logged out and my computer rebooted in normal mode again. Any suggestions on how I can solve this? I have Windows XP on my laptop

trsha10

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I am having the same exact problem. I login normally and the screen turns white. If I login in safe mod or network mode, after a password is entered I am logged back out automatically, and my laptop restarts in normal mode. Can someone tell me how to fix it, or if this virus has a name? Earlier I had a virus that I thought I got rid off. It was called the white screen virus, I think. When I logged in, it said I had broken the law and the FBI required I pay a fine. I thoght I got rid of it, could this be the same virus? Any advise will be valued.

rifle90

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I just had this same problem and was able to get it resolved. Everytime I would log into my desktop, my icons would pop up for just a brief second and then the white screen would appear. I couldnt boot the computer up in safe mode because it kept autimatically logging me out and restarting again. This is a really nasty trojan that hijacks your computer including your back up modes. The only option you have is to boot the computer up in safe mode with command prompt, it shouldnt automatically restart if you open up in this mode. Here is a video link to tell you what key strokes to put in to get system restore to pop up. Hope this fixes the problem if you havn't already done so :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfCgm_13sM

cssamo

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
When the white screen comes up, i hit CTRL - ALT - DEL and told the computer to log off. It gives you a split second on the normal desktop, at which time I clicked on the recycle bin, and clicked delete. This brought up the system message, do you wish to continue to log off or wait for program to respond. As I clicked Cancel, this stopped the log off process and allowed me to get to my task manager. But you gotta be really fast and sneaky.

RoMo1

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
SHaaZaaam I got it......FBI VIrus , blah, blah send $300 to unlock.... Ihad it 2 days ago finally figued out
--1. turn off wifi, and disconnect internet conn"ection
--2. power down,....remove battery " if laptop"
--3. re-install attery pwr up, pressing F8, ...should be at boot menu..
--4. select safe mode with command prompt
--5. at the root menu type rstrui.exe,
--6. choose a good restore point and go....
--7. once finished, reboot remove battery again,
--8. boot normally, ensure not connected to internet
--10. empty the wastebasket
--11. connectt to the internet and get any updates
let me know if it works.....good luck

ram1009

Distinguished

I have the same problem but your solution doesn't work for me. System restore fails every time. Have you heard any more about this?

Next one of these that comes my way, I'll try clicking the Recycle bin at that moment - I've tried Windows+R and shutdown -a but not quickly enough to make it work so any alternative is worth a shot.

There's a summary of my other fixes - that have worked - in this post. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1646352/department-justice-virus.html

serge kouper

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
I had no restore points!
My solution - That Works - requires MBAM and Norton Internet Security installed and updated in another pc.
1- Connect the offending HDD to the other pc and scan it with Norton Internet security and MBAM
2- Download a fresh copy of MBAM and place it on the infected HDD, in it's desktop folder
3- Put the HDD back into the computer, and start in safemode+ Command prompt
4- At the prompt, type "explorer"(without the comas) and press enter. Your explorer will pop up!
5- Locate MBAM and start it . (if you can't update it at this stage ignore the update) and run a quick scan
6- Remove all threats and restart in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING . start MBAM and update it. Quick scan and remove what you just found again.
7- Restart the computer in Normal mode, No more white screen in sight...and run a full scan on all partitions.C:/D:/etc....
Good Luck!

deweyboy

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Using Windows Vista 64bit, same issue.
Tried using Windows install disk to repair, wasn't an option, didn't want to reinstall windows just yet.
Tried running Rkill from USB, drive not mapped.
Tried the log out an empty recycle bin trick, didn't work.
Safe mode is stuck in reboot loop, tried F8, command prompt. Got to a prompt, USB not reognized (to run Rkill), ran rstrui.exe, restore window came up, picked a restore point a few weeks back to be sure, ostensibly completed, rebooted and still white screen.
Have not tried making HD a slave on PC2 - too lazy to hook it up that way.

Gonna search web some more. Hoping for a solution, but may have to reinstall windows.

When I say too lazy, I have internal controller based HDD on system 1, and laptop on system 2. I really don't feel like going to best buy, purchasing a housing so I can USB the boot drive of PC1 as a slave drive to PC2. I have to work while I'm quazi doing this troubleshooting, so I'd rather not leave the house or spend money. Plus I'm perfectly fine with a windows reinstall, but again, that's involved and a long process, again, I'm lazy and looking for a backdoor to get around this backdoor. That's too much backdoor!

SorryBadBeat

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Started the computer in safe mode with command prompt only enabled
Once in command prompt type "Start explorer"
Once in the desktop launch msconfig and disable all non microsoft services and start items
reboot

ArnoNym

Honorable
May 28, 2013
In my case the name of the trojan was Win32-LockScreen-VJ. The trojan was startet in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon. Here under shell sould only be "explorer.exe". In my case behind "explorer.exe", separated by "," was the call of the trojan, skype.dat. The Names of the malware files has been "skype.dat, wpbt0.dll" and some files in the temporary internet files. This Windows XP Notebook was also infected by "Suela-1042" located in "pagefile.sys"

ComputerRx

Honorable
May 30, 2013
There is a very simple fix for this issue... Boot into safe mode with command prompt instead of the normal safe mode this will stop the computer from rebooting. once it boots and CMD is running type explorer.exe and this will start the graphical interface and look like normal safe mode. you can now close CMD and the safe mode window that pops up. Next your going to want to open up My Computer and right click on the HDD that your OS is installed on, normally C: but yours might be different from here you are going to want to click on the tools tab and then you will see one that says Error-Checking click check now and check the box that says Automatically fix the system errors and then click start. it might say that there was no issues even if it found and fixed an issue next close that stuff and go to your start menu and click (run) and type in msconfig and then click the tab that says start-up and then click disable all and then click the restart on the window that comes up.. your computer should reboot now and your desktop should be back up, you will now want to run your virus programs to make sure you pull the trojen that caused all this

Computer Rx

titanic52

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Cryforhelp

Honorable
May 31, 2013

Same issue here, but booting into safe mode with command prompt does NOT stop computer from shutting down and rebooting after login. Any other suggestions?

Cryforhelp

Honorable
May 31, 2013

No. It all happens VERY fast. After booting in (any) safe mode and then logging into Windows, a command window appears for a split second, then shuts down and reboots. No chance to enter anything. BTW this is XP Pro on a Dell E6400.

daveche

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

daveche

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Had the same thing, once you start in safe mode it restarts back to normal mode. You must go in the back door. I went into the bios and changed the boot sequince harddrive to cdrom. then on your restart f12(boot sequince) and launch something other than harddrive. I got thru I believe thru cdrom but tried all, then I launched into safe. Control alt del and got into task maneger, from there i was able to launch new procees got into windows and was able to find systen restore exc. right clicked and opened it. Did a restore to a few days prior and it is ok. some of hteese processes take along time.

Sometimes - and fortunately - Safe Mode with Command Prompt works where the other options don't Once in, minimise the Comand form and, as daveche says, Control Shift and Escape for Task manager (Control ALt and Delete twice by accident or pressing too long and you're back out of the system), Processes tab>File>Start new, type explorer.exe and you're up and running to get your malware scans going.

Nevron

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
This was my solution, drastic it was but I am up a running. With Windows7 I had the FBI page asking for money and then a white screen. Went to safe mode and rebooted, no good, rebooted again in safe mode, this time with the command line. Inserted the windows 7 CD and type in the setup command from the CD and completely reinstalled windows7.

Status
Not open for further replies.