virus corrupted files

rantwhy

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
there fresh installs its the files I opened them up in notepad and the header info and meta data is gone the files are there the os and the player are file its just I need a software that will repair them

rantwhy

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
THE VIRUS IS NOT ON THE COMPUTER ANY MORE ITS A FRESH INSTALL IT FILES ARE JUST DAMAGED FROM THE OLD COMPUTER!!!!! I DONT NEED ANTIVIRUS I NEED FILE RECONSTRUCT-ER!!!!!

plaintuts

Admirable
First, stop using the storage device you use to transfer the files to other computers.. Its spreading the virus, probably...

No, you probably cant reconstruct the files anymore

Yes, you need to scan the computer for viruses

Lastly, please don't get mad at people trying to help,

plaintuts

Admirable
Try registry mechanic, its a paid program that could probably help...

Or you can read about using regedit in the system to fix these kinds of issues, this will restore default registry of file association to other programs.

The virus probably corrupted the correct path on which the files can be used.. For example

Jpeg was assigned to be opened with Java in the registry, hence file corrupted.

There is no definite fix for this.

smackers_12

Honorable
I read your question, by transferring the files there is a chance you can spread the virus even if you reinstalled windows. That was why i suggested a virus scan there was no need to all caps rage at me. If all the metadata is gone you can do the suggested fixes above but as it was said there is no definate fix. Those fixes may not work

rantwhy

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
you know how there's meta data that tells the image editor or the video player what it is and what to do with it IN the file itself THAT is whats gone I need something to fix that.

plaintuts

Admirable
I will simplify the answer a little...

The file came from the old computer then the virus corrupted the file.. For example mpeg file was set to be opened using ms word by the virus..

So even if you transfer the file to a different computer, the corrupted file is still viewed as ms word but its an mpeg file, hence file corrupted..

It doesn't matter if the computer is new because the virus is transferred along with the files.

i understand him . The file has a header and a body . Since the viruses usually attach to the front of the file , overriding the first bytes , they corrupt mainly the header . He is hoping to find an application that can rebuild the header from the body and thus save the files . Unfortunately , i dont know such a program .