Virus protection help needed for gaming

OK. I know there are other possibly more appropriate newsgroups to
discuss virus protection, but I wanted some input from people here. My
Norton Anti-Virus subscription is due for renewal and I would like to
replace it with something less intrusive. Right now, Norton seems to
randomly decide to do full disk scans and there seems to be no way to
disable this. When playing World of Warcraft, everthing grinds to a
slow crawl when this happens until I am able to stop the scan.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what software might be a better
solution to allow for better gaming performance. I'm running
Windows XP SP1.

Thanks for any suggestions,

-Rodney

Rodney Somerstein wrote:
> OK. I know there are other possibly more appropriate newsgroups to
> discuss virus protection, but I wanted some input from people here. My
> Norton Anti-Virus subscription is due for renewal and I would like to
> replace it with something less intrusive. Right now, Norton seems to
> randomly decide to do full disk scans and there seems to be no way to
> disable this. When playing World of Warcraft, everthing grinds to a
> slow crawl when this happens until I am able to stop the scan.

Norton blows monkey balls. I'd stay away from McAfee too.

> I'm looking for suggestions as to what software might be a better
> solution to allow for better gaming performance. I'm running
> Windows XP SP1.

I'd check out AVG from Grisoft. It is pretty decent and free.
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

Note: You will have to uninstall and reinstall if you are going to get SP2.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:35:26 -0600, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>Rodney Somerstein wrote:
>> OK. I know there are other possibly more appropriate newsgroups to
>> discuss virus protection, but I wanted some input from people here. My
>> Norton Anti-Virus subscription is due for renewal and I would like to
>> replace it with something less intrusive. Right now, Norton seems to
>> randomly decide to do full disk scans and there seems to be no way to
>> disable this. When playing World of Warcraft, everthing grinds to a
>> slow crawl when this happens until I am able to stop the scan.
>
>Norton blows monkey balls. I'd stay away from McAfee too.
>
>> I'm looking for suggestions as to what software might be a better
>> solution to allow for better gaming performance. I'm running
>> Windows XP SP1.
>
>I'd check out AVG from Grisoft. It is pretty decent and free.
>http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1
>
>Note: You will have to uninstall and reinstall if you are going to get SP2.

I second this. It's easily as good as the retail Symantec product, but
free, and while I would think that you could change the scheduling on
Norton, I know for a fact that you can on AVG. I use it and have all
my friends move over to it, especially when they are having problems
with their Symantec product.

jwb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003

www.trendmicro.com

--
JWB

Bitstring <a8b9e.7793$n93.669@twister.nyc.rr.com>, from the wonderful
person JWB <jwb3333_spamtrap_@excite.com> said

>www.trendmicro.com

That's what I use (although with most email scanning turned off, since
my ISP does it for me).

The right place to ask this is over on alt.comp.anti-virus.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"Rodney Somerstein" <rodneys@nospam.io.com> wrote in message
> OK. I know there are other possibly more appropriate newsgroups to
> discuss virus protection, but I wanted some input from people here. My
> Norton Anti-Virus subscription is due for renewal and I would like to
> replace it with something less intrusive. Right now, Norton seems to
> randomly decide to do full disk scans and there seems to be no way to
> disable this. When playing World of Warcraft, everthing grinds to a
> slow crawl when this happens until I am able to stop the scan.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions as to what software might be a better
> solution to allow for better gaming performance. I'm running
> Windows XP SP1.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,

I'm not going to try to advice you about other anti-virus software, lots of
other people will do that, but turning off the scheduled scans in Norton is
easy enough. Under the "Scan for Viruses" window in the bottom right corner
is a link to the 'Schedule' panel. Click on it and reschedule or turn it
off. The default seems to be a weekly scan on Friday evenings.

(I had the same thing happening with a different game, so I rescheduled it.
Now if I could only do the same for the auto-update function. Since I'm on
DSL its always on. I've had it do four separate updates in a single day and
they seem to slow my computer down as much as the full scan. I'm glad for
the diligence, but still....)

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:35:09 -0400, Big McLargehuge <nomore@spam.com>
wrote:

>>I'd check out AVG from Grisoft. It is pretty decent and free.
>>http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1
>>
>>Note: You will have to uninstall and reinstall if you are going to get SP2.
>
>I second this. It's easily as good as the retail Symantec product, but
>free, and while I would think that you could change the scheduling on
>Norton, I know for a fact that you can on AVG. I use it and have all
>my friends move over to it, especially when they are having problems
>with their Symantec product.

I fixed a laptop for a friend at the weekend by removing Norton,
installing AVG and Ad-Aware (from lavasoft) and removing the 8 viruses
and 13 running adware and spyware programs that were screwing her
system up.

Norton doesn't seem to do _anything_ by way of securing a system
afaict, it just makes things stop working or slow down to a crawl.

j.

Rodney Somerstein <rodneys@nospam.io.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> I'm looking for suggestions as to what software might be a better
> solution to allow for better gaming performance. I'm running
> Windows XP SP1.

I've used the freeware (for home use, not for businesses) program AntiVir
for three years now, and I can highly recommend it:
http://www.free-av.com/

- and while you're at it, go grab Tiny Personal Firewall:
http://www.webmasterfree.com/tpfw.html

AdAware:

MailWasher:
http://www.mailwasher.net/

- and

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html

Then forget all about Symantec.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I'm
looking into all of them and am confident that I will be able to get
rid of Norton and have my computer running safer and faster sometime
soon.

-Rodney