VirusScan deploy via GP

Has anyone had any success deploying VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 via Group
Policy? I can't seem to get it to install after applying the policy and
rebooting my test machine.

Any ideas?

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I was having trouble getting Office 2k3 to deploy via
GPo... Tried a plain gpupdate, and that didn't get
anything. Then tried a gpupdate /sync, and it is
actually deploying right now! (woohoo, first package I
deployed via policy!!)

Wow, and my boss is down the hall in a meeting, so he
won't know I got it done 'til tomorrow! woohoo!!

Now if only I could get it to deploy without having to
run "gpupdate /sync" on each workstation... anyone know
how to brute-force a policy to apply?

Software Install Packages are applied after a reboot. If this is not
happening, you have a DNS issue, or a inheritance problem, possibly. Run a
gpresult on an affected machine and see if you see the MS Office GPO in the
list.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Ken" <kbrussel@trc.curtisswright.com> wrote in message
> I was having trouble getting Office 2k3 to deploy via
> GPo... Tried a plain gpupdate, and that didn't get
> anything. Then tried a gpupdate /sync, and it is
> actually deploying right now! (woohoo, first package I
> deployed via policy!!)
>
> Wow, and my boss is down the hall in a meeting, so he
> won't know I got it done 'til tomorrow! woohoo!!
>
> Now if only I could get it to deploy without having to
> run "gpupdate /sync" on each workstation... anyone know
> how to brute-force a policy to apply?

You have to deploy it to computers and not to users. Have you extracted the
MSIs and placed it on a share together with the other files?

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"Scott A." <dolph22@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Has anyone had any success deploying VirusScan Enterprise 7.1 via Group
> Policy? I can't seem to get it to install after applying the policy and
> rebooting my test machine.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes I have. I finally was able to get it to install, however it only
appeared "half" right. It told me that it could not start the console when I
selected it and half of my options were grayed out. It was as if the install
only did HALF the job. I guess I'll contact NAI.

Thanks!

"Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> said

> Software Install Packages are applied after a reboot. If this is not
> happening, you have a DNS issue, or a inheritance problem, possibly. Run a
> gpresult on an affected machine and see if you see the MS Office GPO in the
> list.

If using WinXP clients, it could also be as a result of the Windows XP fast
logon which can cause software installations to take 2 reboots to occur.
Try disabling the fast logon feature and see what happens.

(Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for
the network at computer startup and logon)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305293

Andy.

Scott,

NAI provides another tool called McAfee Installation Designer (MID) to
customize the msi, which works from group policy.
We are using it happily for over six months. Try it. It is easy.

--Karsudha