News VisionBoard keyboard incorporates a 10-inch touchscreen, leans into retro word processor style

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I do not know how many people still remember, but many years ago we have similar device called electronic typewriter :LOL:

Darkoverlordofdata

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2017
Because a real katakana keyboard barely fits on the desktop. The way japanese word processors work is that you type in Romanji. As words build, they automatically convert to Hirigana characters. As they build up, they convert into Katekana. It’s fascinating to watch.
Odd a keyboard aimed at Japan would have a western alphabet.

Reactions: thisisaname

Darkoverlordofdata

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2017
A friend of mine tells me I've conflated katakana with kanji. I'm not Japanese. But it points out the complexity. Romanji is the lowest common denominator. But there are several Romanji alphabets also, so western alphabet gets used because everyone can agree on it.

Reactions: thisisaname

Giroro

Splendid
It's a shame it's not a full sized keyboard
That brings the product down from "somewhat interesting" to "completely confusing". Is there a market for people who have space for a giant keyboard with a touchscreen, but also they don't want a decent layout with all the keys?
Also, they need to work on their pitch. A small low-res screen at keyboard level looks like the worst possible place to put a video editing timeline, considering that's where you're doing 95% of the work.

TRENDING THREADS