mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
How do I know if I want the 32 or 64 bit version? And can someone please point me to the directions on what to do with the ISO file once it is burned to a DVD? I googled it but was unsuccessful.

Thanks!!

Eddie

Solution
mickeddie: the version you want will depend on what your cpu is. If you have a 64 bit cpu, you can use the 64bit version but there is also a lot of compatibility issues using older programs under a 64bit OS especially with games. You may just want to try the 32bit version first.
ISO files are disk image files meaning when you burn them to a DVD they will be a bootable DVD that you put into your drive and autorun or doubleclick to execute the install.

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
mickeddie: the version you want will depend on what your cpu is. If you have a 64 bit cpu, you can use the 64bit version but there is also a lot of compatibility issues using older programs under a 64bit OS especially with games. You may just want to try the 32bit version first.
ISO files are disk image files meaning when you burn them to a DVD they will be a bootable DVD that you put into your drive and autorun or doubleclick to execute the install.

Solution

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I just copied the ISO file to the DVD. I guess I need to extract the files first with an ISO extractor and then burn all of the files to a DVD?

Perhaps if you'd read the release notes on the Microsoft site you'd know. Nero would have done it all for you without any problems.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I don't have Nero and used a free DVD copier I got from Download.com. The notes say to copy the ISO file to a DVD...I did not know that certain software automatically extracts the files while burning.

Can you recommend any good free software with no gb limits? Of course I still need the key.

shadowed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
You will need a program that will burn the program to the dvd as an ISO file. I use Nero but I am not sure if they have a trial version that will work for that or not. Sorry and good luck.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Mickeddie:
You can install Vista without the key; just make sure you get one before the trial tie (14 days) is up. I suggest you go to the Vista site and get it because their program is now open and you can get a legal Vista key.

I installed the 64bit version. Most of my old 32bit programs work pretty fine... although I have to disable Aero for some because they are not compatible with the new GUI.