Vista 64 Problem, WOnt start

Scurvythepirate

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Okay so I build my computer,
CoolerMaster CM 690, COrsair 650W, Intel e8400 @3.0Ghz, Asus P5N-D 750i, Corsair Twinx 800mhz 4gb 2X2, XFX 9800gtx+
Hitachi Deskstar 500gb 3.5in SATA, LG 22x CD/DVD-RW, and Vista Home Premuim 64bit.
So for about 2 months the computer had been working great no probelms what so ever,(pretty much none).
And somethimes I would get the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH". And according to that it was "dumping my memory" when I would just be surfing the net, I always check AVG for viruses and there are never any.
Until about 2-3 days ago, it used to be I had to go through safe mod and all that stuff to get it to work(fine whatever aslong as it works, right?).
And tonight my computer STOPPED working, it barley goes past the bois, and even then it goes into a black screen. I've tried going into the bois and "use last good configuration settings" but still nowhere. I'm thinking the probelm is that its not detecting my operating system IDK. I could try and reinstall vista but that would Delete EVERYTHING.
Please dont say start form safe mod becuase I cant seem to get that screen, F8 dosent do that, neither does TAB or DELETE. P.S all my stuff works and I have not installed anything new.

Please give me honest answers

Thank you

Scurvy

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
You could use the windows installation disc and boot up with that to try and fix your problem on the hard drive. All your data should still be there.

This could also be a RAM issue. What is the exact model of your RAM? Did you manually set the timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs? Have you run memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors? BSOD's are very often caused by RAM problems. That's the first place I'd look.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Bad memory would be intermittently bad, but would not get progressively worse. This sounds more like a data corruption issue, though it could originally stem from bad memory. Resolve the hard drive issue first, then memtest to determine if this began with bad memory. Remember, bad memory means you have a small portion of your memory that is either stuck so it cannot be written to, or you cannot read from it after it has been written to. This will lead to data corruption, and cause your system to reboot on occassion when one or more traps cannot be properly implemented (causing your BSOD). The problem is that this is just the tip of the iceberg, as this kind of corruption will not only reboot your system, but plays havoc with the integrity of your hard drive partitions as well as corrupt bits get written to the drive both through bad memory and frequent crashes.

First, use another machine to try and recover your drive (if one is available to you), or boot the machine off any Linux distro live disc and do your repairs from there (SystemRescueCD has worked wonders for me in the past, but don't take my word for it, follow this link). At the very least it will allow you to recover what you can off the ailing partition before you have to wipe it for a reinstall.

After you get your system into a bootable condition, memtest and replace any bad memory. It's cheap, and if it is new enough, you may be able to get the vendor to replace it under warranty (remember, lifetime warranty is the expected part's lifetime, not your lifetime).