Vista 64 Wireless NIC

daftpunk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Ok here is the situation. I just built a new system with Vista 64 bit Home Premium. I couldn't get my wonderful Dell 1450 wireless USB adapter to work at all so I switched with my brother and got his Linksys WMP54G v4.1 because it said it worked with Vista on the box. Well either it only meant Vista 32 or I did something wrong because I couldn't get it to work with the Vista drivers from the linksys site, but I did get it working with some Ralink Technology drivers I found on another forum.

Here is the problem, when it does work it is seriously fast. But every now and then it will just start cutting in and out. The signal bar never goes down (always stays at good or very good), but I get dropped from games every minute or so.

Does this sound like a signal thing (perhaps the connectivity bar isn't functioning properly), or is it the work around drivers?

I don't have a firewall, I have tried turning off the Windows firewall and disabling security for my wireless network. My work computer is only 4-5 feet closer to the router and it never has issues so I'm pretty sure it's not the router or modem.

Thanks for any help.

PS: Just to expedite things a bit, if you do think I need a new card can anyone recommend one that absolutely positively works with Vista 64? I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127080 but the customer reviews seem to be split on whether it works with Vista 64 or not.

G

Treating it purely as a conventional wireless issue, obviously see if you're suffering interference form neighbouring wifi and if so change channels. Also relocate cordless phone base or video sender away from router or computer.

You might try turning off UPnP and DOS attack protection in the router.

daftpunk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
There are no neighboring wifi signals. Cordless phone is on the other side of the room. Also my old computer worked just fine sitting right where my new one is.

Turning off UPnP and DOS attack protection didn't help.

TRENDING THREADS