Vista DHCP Problem

Vampiric Puppet

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Hi guys, hope this is in the right place.

My Dad's Laptop is a Dell XPS M1530 and has an internal Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN adaptor for connecting to the router which has worked fine for over a year now however recently the network says he can get Local Access but not the Internet.

When I open the tools for the adaptor it says that it has failed the Ping Test because it has "No Response from the DHCP Server", there are 2 other Laptops using the router via wireless and a Desktop connected via cable. I manually updated the driver for the wireless adaptor to version 12.4.0.21 but according to Windows update there is an update for it waiting, I don't know if it is the same version or not. The Router is a BT HomeHub but I don't know what firmware or driver that has etc.

I tried going into the registry and editing various entries in there, mainly in the:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
folder but when nothing changed I just set it back to how it was.
Also tried disabling the firewall for a while to see if that helped and nothing, there aren't any other networks to get on to see if its the router.

He's using Vista 32bit and one of the other laptops is as well so I'm not sure if thats an issue.

Can anyone help me? It's still under warranty and I've tried ringing and emailing them but so far it is as effecting as asking a mentally challenged baby elephant to solve the issue.

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Try going into the Computer Management window and right click on the wireless adapter.
Uninstall it.
Right click on the computer at the top of the list and scan for hardware changes.
This will reinstall the device.

Then open a command prompt window and run this command to see if you are receiving
the DNS IP addresses needed.

ipconfig /all

I still love my M1710.