Vista does not boot to RAID 0

G

Recently my DFI LANparty T3eH8 motherboard was dead so that I went through the RMA process and got a new one which was exactly the same model. I have been using 4 hard drives in RAID 0 configuration. I flashed the latest BIOS and re-setup the BIOS setting to boot to RAID. Now during boot-up, I hit CTRL-I to enter the Intel RAID configuration utility and saw all the 4 hard drives recognised. The RAID volume 0 is still intact. However, Windows Vista does not boot at all. It shows the startup text screen that mentions boot loader, NTLDR and other things. There's no error at all. It just stops there. I don't even see the screen that shows the progress bar. I have no way to boot into Windows. My SATA cables are numbered so that they are plugged into the correct ports as before. Could someone please give me any insight about this problem?

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
you got a 4 disk RAID0 setup? yes? did/do you have any other drives connected? if you can run a chkdsk /r or similar that'd be good. I'm guess your mobo corrupted some of the boot files. did it crash during a bootup before u sent the old one away? a bootable Seatools disc should do it.

G

Yes I got a 4-disk RAID 0 setup. I don't have any other drives connected. My last motherboard had the PWM circuit burnt so that it just did not boot up at all. The Windows did not crash before the board was dead.

Do you know if there's any CD-ROM bootable software that can determine the order of the RAID disks? I suspect that the numberings on my SATA cables are not correct.

Thank you so much.

G

Yes, the RAID volume is set as primary boot device. I don't have any other independent drives connected.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I'm not sure the order is important, so long as they are plugged in. as you said Intel RAID manager found the RAID as is intact. Its more likely a file/loading issue.

Go into BIOS as turn off everything possible - serial ports, parallel, USB, network, everything except the basics to boot up. see if that works.

else, download Seatools and run a hdd check/scan for errors, can't remember trying it on a RAID volume, but should work.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

else, try a repair installation of Windows from the DVD.