Vista freezing completely

dale3232

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Hi guys,

Hopng somebody can help i have been digging through google with no joy as of yet so am turning to the experts.

Randomly my computer will completely freeze up mouse will not move anything. The only way to get it to work again is to physically pull the plug or hold the power button.

This seems to happen mostly when browsing a number of web pages or downloading big files Ie i was trying to download The game Rift and it just keeps freezing as i do that too.

I had a look on google and saw a few solutions one was to check power management and make some changes to never sleep and so forth which hasnt worked, I also was advised to update all drivers which i have done with driverpack solution.

I am running tune up utilities and have run disk defragmentation and all the other tweaks it recomneds still to no avail so i turn to you guys as my last hope.

My specs form pc wizard are:

Mainboard : Dell 0YC523
Chipset : Intel 945P
Processor : Intel Pentium D 820 @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 3072 MB (3 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5450
Hard Disk : Seagate ST3250318AS (250GB)
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2 (32-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 3.7 on 5.9

Any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated folks

Thanks in advance

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Uninstall windows Vista, literally any other OS will be better including free Linux based ones. You can also get a copy of the far superior Windows 7 for pretty cheap these days.

I have a laptop that I got back in 2009 ish, when Vista was all the rage. Had a plethora of issues with it, installed windows 7 on it and haven't had a problem since. It still runs great.

There is nothing wrong with vista Vista only got a bad name because of computer illiterate morons that were trying to install it on hardware that was too old. i installed vista on a newbuild i had back in the day and had no issues with it whatsoever and this was before the first service pack

as for the issue if your computer is locking up like that it may be that it is overheating or some kind of HW issue. the best thing to do at this point would be to backup your data and perform a clean install of windows to rule out that it is a software problem

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
"Vista only got a bad name because of computer illiterate morons"

best joke I've heard all decade. Tell that to the professionals in the field, or to someone like me who fixes people's computers for a living.

LMAO considering you just told this person to wipe his computer and go buy or install a new OS then to actually offer a fair solution to their issue you must not have many customers

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Vista is a joke with many flaws, changing to any other OS will eliminate most of the problems he's having, they sound like horrible incompatibility issues. What was the last time you seen a retail PC overheat while browsing the web or while downloading? He's either got a mean virus/malware problem or he has too many programs running, both of which are direct results of Vista being an un-optimized piece of crap.