Vista-Fresh Install or Upgrade?

color-blind

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Ok, in the past I've allways been told to perform a fresh install of an operating system. Recently though a few people have told me that with Vista this is not necessary. What should one do. I currently have windows xp pro installed. Should one simply upgrade to Vista or reformat and install Vista ultimate. Thanks for the help.

Solution
I'll always prefer a clean install than doing a reinstall. I think that your first Vista install should be a clean one, to avoid any kind of troubles and have a cleaner system.

phogstenjr

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Hello,

I have a full retail version of Windows 2000 professional. I just built a new PC (see specs below). Based on this I am planning on purchasing a Vista Ultimate upgrade disk. Will I be have to first install Windows 2000 professional then install Vista Ultimate from the upgrade disk? Or will there be an option to perform a clean install from the Vista Ultimate upgrade disk (I am not sure how this would work)?

Paul

Antec Nine Hundred case w/ Ultra XVS Modular 500W ATX Power Supply, Asus P5B-E Motherboard (revision 1.01 equates to a 2.2 V maximum memory over clock), Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Processor, PNY 8800GTS, WD 160 GB SATA Hard Drive (8GB & 150MB/sec DTR), and a whopping 256 MB of PNY DDR2 memory (I will be purchasing a 2 GB kit of hopefully Micron D9GMH or D9GKX this week if I can find a good deal).