Vista Gaming Machine to Ubuntu Home Server Help

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
This might be a long running thread to help me get everything up and running. I am a complete Noob when it comes to linux, but i can read and do instructions.

I have a Vista Gaming Machine that I want to trun into a home server using ubuntu. I want to be able to use it on the web to download things but also use it as a file share and media server, and maybe attach to while away from home. I have heard you can have the desktop running on a server image or having server running on desktop image. I can get the desktop image installed but cant figure out why my server iso wont work. I have no internet currently working at home so anything i do needs to be offline.

Any help will be helpful. Wondering what would be the best route to take. Hardware is capable of running Ubuntu. Will upgrade to better equipment if internet actually ever reaches my home.

The main difference between Ubuntu server and Ubuntu desktop is that Desktop comes with a GUI and some tools already installed. The server version comes pretty barebones with just a command prompt and basic tools. You can of course start with the server image and install everything to make it a 'desktop'.

I want to be able to use it on the web to download things but also use it as a file share and media server, and maybe attach to while away from home

You can use either desktop or server version..

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
I know most of what you just said. I'm asking what is the best WAY of implementing it, and a guide on doing it. All the guides I have found so far wont work for me do to no internet to PC currently.

I'm asking is building a server base with function then adding GUI or desktop with server features added my best route.

Go to a book shop, and look for Linux magazines (and because noone publishes them in the USofA, yes, they're expensive, like $15). They usually come with a distro or five on a DVD. Install this on your "server", and start learning what to do.

For a little bit more you can get a book on Ubunty, which will come with its own DVD as well. This will have the added benefid of "hard copy", taking in account your internet (dis)connectivity.

Adding software (and what you need for your "server") will be really hard without an Internet access. Once you install Linux, you can download additional packages offline and install them, but you have to be very careful about dependencies.

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
keep getting run around. using an old windows os cd to wipe the drive then going to try to reinstall ubuntu server

wiped. found i did not set up rufus correctly on usb drive. trying another setting in rufus

all defualt - no go
mbr for ufi - as iso - no go
mbr for ufi - dd (somthing like that) - im installing