VIsta Home disables working mouse if I choose "Don't show this message again"

AdMan1

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Hi, I did a Vista Home Basic 32 bit SP2 clean install on a formatted drive. When Vista boots, the mouse works fine, but a message says 'Windows needs to install driver software for your Usb OpticalWheel mouse'.
"Locate and install" can't find a driver.
"Don't show this message" again disables the mouse.
Is there a way to stop Vista displaying this message or checking for a driver?.
The mouse is a Tesco Technika which I have the drivers for but Vista won't install them. I've also tried booting with a Logitech Trackman and another usb mouse. These also work, but the message still comes up.
Thanks - Adam

P.s.
Device manager shows 2 separate entries : Under HID and MOUSE:
I disabled the HID entry, and the mouse froze. System restore didn't work! Mouse is still frozen.

Solution

that's really odd, I have been using Vista for years and never faced such things
you disabled the Mouse from the device manager so of course it will stop performing
after trying to re-install Vista, did it...

AdMan1

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Hi Plast0000,
All manufacturer drivers were installed. I've been building and looking after pcs for 30 years, but this was so odd I thought I'd ask on this forum in case someone else had the same issue.

I can get round the frozen mouse by re-installing Vista but I'm giving the pc to a friend and don't want them to have this message show up every time they start the computer.

The stupid thing is the mouse works... until you choose one of the options given to you.
Good old Vista! This is one of the reasons I still use XP ;)

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

that's really odd, I have been using Vista for years and never faced such things
you disabled the Mouse from the device manager so of course it will stop performing
after trying to re-install Vista, did it shaow the same message? here are my recommendations:

-update your BIOS, old BIOS versions some times cause compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows
-Update your mouse drivers (get the latest vesion from the manufacturer's website)
-you may try to install the .inf file using the device manager (it maybe dangerous if you did something wrong but it helps most of the times)

Solution

AdMan1

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Thanks plast.
I disabled the HID, not the mouse, in the Device Manager, as I thought that could be a conflicting driver. I'll re-install Vista (again) and try updating the bios.