Vista install freezes on cd key stage.

congo bongo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
hey guys, ive seen similar threads but so far i havnt been able to get this working. i recently built a system and installed my old version of xp. ive since bought vista home premium but when i enter the cd key (or the next screen if i choose not to enter it) it just hangs. i left it for up to 6 hours n still nothing. i would like to do a clean install but startup ignores me when i press any key when it says to to boot from cd. i tried it without the hdd connected and it booted the disc but still it hangs at the same point after the cd key. any help would be appreciated.

this is what i bought for my system.

Gigabyte GA EP31 DS3L Mobo

Intel Core2 duo E7400 CPU 2.8 ghz

Antec Sonata III box and psu (500w)

2x 2gb Kingston 800Mhz Ram

1gb Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT graphics card

1TB Seagate HDD

If i've left any details out plz ask me and if you can possibly help i thank you very much in advance.

cheers guys.

So everything is working fine other than this? You are not having trouble with any other CDs?

How is your hard drive compatibility set in the BIOS? It should say IDE or some such, not AHCI.

Have you tried using the disc in another computer?

startup ignores me when i press any key when it says to to boot from cd
This behavior isn't normal. Try pressing a key repeatedly or try a different keyboard.

Are you sure the DVD is good? Did you buy it or burn it from an ISO image yourself?

Unlike XP that requires AHCI drivers, it doesn't matter if the SATA controller is set to IDE or AHCI when installing Vista.

congo bongo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
sata hdd drive is set to ide in bios, i purchased the vista disc legit (not oem) i havnt had the chance to try the disc in any other pc's yet.

and yes, everything else works perfectly fine.

ghislaing, u mentioned the keyboard... it is a usb keyboard, could this be a factor at all? (ill search for a dif kbrd now i might have one)

congo bongo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009

unfortunately my ps2 kbrd is stuffed completely and i tried my old dvd drive (ide not sata like the new one) and it wont even acknowledge dvds! :??: it recognises cd's but not any dvds at all.. which is strange is it is my old burner and im 100000% positive it is a dvd drive.. ill head round to my mates house tomorrow and see if the dvd works in his and ill take his keyboard too :) cheers for taking the time to offer assistance

congo bongo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
well the ps2 kbrd made no difference and the vista dvd worked on my mates computer.. from desktop and boot. ah this is drivin me nuts!

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I had a similar experience (not quite this bad) I dual boot vista and xp, the xp install went through without a hitch, Vista on the otherhand, the install hung at every step until it was actually installing. basically when ever I hit next on a menu it would hang, at one screen for an hour, until I finally got to the part where it was actually installing files it was fine from there, PC works fine following the install.
I have a core i7 system don't know if its related, but the problem did not occur when I tested the steps on another c2d base pc.

Actually, create a slipstream disk.

http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/slipstream-vista-sp1-bootable-windows-vista-dvd-integrated/2750/

These are instructions, which use a program called nLite to pre-configure an Vista installation for installation. It's completely legal, and will make installation quicker as well as bypassing this problem... hopefully.

congo bongo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009

the version of vista i purchased is home premium which already has sp1 incorprated on it. could/would making a slipstream still be of any possible help?

thanks alot for the replies guys, this is sooo frustrating but ur keepin my spirits up lol.

Well, you seem to be having problem with that disk. So using a new disk might help. Also, when you use nLite, it will do much more than that.. it will allow you to control much of what Vista does automatically. Bypassing the automation will mean that you potentially bypass the stage where you are hanging as well.

Certainly I can't say if it will fix it, but it's not so hard if you have another computer to setup the disk on.