Vista Install hangs at "completing installation"

vinlione

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I'm a teacher and I'm trying to install Vista as a dual boot with XP on the first partition. In a room of 25 computers, 4 went perfectly and all the rest hung at "completing installation." All the units are exactly the same: Dual core, 160GB SATA drive, 4GB RAM, DVD-RW, etc. I examined the BIOS in the units that worked and ones that didn't and they're the same. I also tried to change the BIOS to legacy IDE emulation for the SATA drive, but with the same result. The new partition was freshly created and formatted NTFS. What am I missing?? Any ideas would be appreciated.

leon377

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Sounds like you are using a custom image deployed from your servers, have you tried using a oem Vista CD on one of the computers that failed?

We had similar problems, turned out is was a storage driver fault on the sysprep (was on xp tho), Added

[SysprepMassStorage]
pci\ven_1022&dev_7007=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf
pci\ven_1022&dev_700d=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf
pci\ven_1022&dev_700f=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf
pci\ven_1022&dev_740b=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf
pci\ven_1022&dev_7413=c:\windows\inf\machine.inf
loads and loads more entrys.........

Might be due to having slightly different models\versions on the hdds

Hope helps

corey34029

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
This will happen frequently due to errors by the DVD drive itself. During the completion phase, at several points, the DVD will be accessed continuously. This will also happen when checking system performance.

In the early days of both floppy and CD drives, it was not uncommon to experience variations in drive performance that were wide enough such that a drive made on one machine could not be read on another. Unfortunately, this has returned as price and quality of drives has been diminished.

TRENDING THREADS