Vista is only bootloader entry listed on my WinXP computer, would like to fix this...

jbclem

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
My Optiplex 960 originally came with Windows Vista. I tried to set up a dual boot with XP but had problems and eventually just installed XP on the computer. I don't remember the details, but it worked and after that I probably deleted all the Vista files on the hard drive.

Now I'd like to set up a dual boot with Win7 but when I started up easyBCD(just to check things out) it showed that the only entry in the Windows bootloader was Vista. So what do I do with this. Can I just delete the Vista entry, or will this cause problems with my WinXP. And why isn't WinXP listed in the bootloader?

Solution

Generally, when you dualboot 2x Windows systems, you install the older one first, then the newer.
Having Vista and then installing XP...

jbclem

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I've dual and triple booted identical and different windows OSs. Win2000 and WinXP and WinXP for example. It's a good way to try out a different OS, and also very handy when one of them crashed (blue screens) and you don't want to spend hours figuring out the solution right now...just boot into the other OS and keep going. Also when you don't want to use an OS (Win7 for example) but need it for a some software that won't work on your older(and better) operating system. Personally, I feel that newer versions are often downgrades.

USAFRet

Titan

Generally, when you dualboot 2x Windows systems, you install the older one first, then the newer.
Having Vista and then installing XP messed up the original Vista bootloader.

You can try just deleting the Vista entry.
Have a good backup of the whole thing before you do this, though.

Solution

jbclem

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
USAFRet, sorry for the delay answering...I lost track of this issue.

In EasyBCD I can delete the Vista entry, and I also have the option of adding a new entry to the Windows bootloader. But you mentioned "a good backup of the whole thing" and I wondered what you meant by "the whole thing". Back up the entire partition the WinXP OS is on, the partition that Vista is on, the bootloader??

USAFRet

Titan

A backup of the entire system.