Vista performance lag ?

anantkamath

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I've ordered a new gaming PC for my home with a core i7 920, 4 GB DDR3 Ram and a 9800GTX+ card, and Vista Ultimate. I can still change my OS before the PC arrives.

I love XP, and have chosen Vista only for Direct X 10 games. I'm not impressed by Aeroglass and all the eye candy, other "features" (LOL) . Some sites say that the aero GUI is suspended when games are launched in full screen mode, so there is no performance lag while playing games. But for normal computing, like browsing, file management and everything else, given my PC configuration, will there be any performance lag, "hanging" desktops, etc, or having to wait until new windows open,etc. with Vista ?

And apart from DirectX 10, is there any other compelling reson to move to Vista?(I am not going to wait for Windows 7 to get a new PC)

No lag. This is a myth. http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3789

Vista on a good system with a lot of RAM smokes and is at least as fast as XP. Many of the reoprts of Vista being sluggish came from systems with less than 2 gig of RAM and on old single core procs. Also a lot of people were buying crapware/craplet infested retail PCs which we all know are very sluggish - not understanding they blamed Vista because of the buzz and the Apple ads. Vista is a great OS have no worries.

A lot of those same bloggers who cursed Vista have changed their tune and now quietly and begrudgingly admit it is a good OS that is largely misunderstood. Yea, 7 should be a little faster and more polished, but Vista is by no means a slow pig. 7 is faster than XP too BTW.

Change your OS to Vista Ultimate 64. 64 has arrived and is now by far the OS of choice for enthusiasts, trust me on this. This will give you the option of running more than 4 gig RAM AND will get you the use of the 4 gig you have ordered. Personally I'd get more RAM to start with, though I understand DDR 3 is rather pricey.

BTW, Aero is OPTIONAL, not that it causes any lag anyway - it runs on the GPU and the video card RAM, not on your CPU and system ram. Beware the Vista FUD!!