Vista problem with games

Hajosy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
I have a new computer that I just built. It works great when NOT running a first person shooter (TF2, Call of Duty 4) I can run the game for a while (sometimes 45 minutes other times it only runs about 5 minutes) The computer screen will freeze up and sometimes I get the BSOD, but with no real information on it. It just flashes up and restarts. When it does I am good for another 5 to 45 minutes. The computer is running at about 34 to 45 degrees Celsius, so I don't think it is getting too hot. I have updated Vista and all the drivers. (Except the bios, but the mother board is only about 2 weeks old.) I need to say that it runs fine with Guild Wars and other programs. (Internet, Office 2007...) I have tried it without over clocking and it is doing the same thing.
I have removed the 6800 video card and still doing it also
Does anyone have any ideas?

System Specs:
Case: Ultra M998 Aluminum
Mobo: ASUS- NVIDIA nForce Dual 16x SLI, 1066MHz
CPU: QX 6700 – Core 2 Extreme QUAD Processor – 2.66 OC(3.20) 8MB L2 Catch – 1066MHz FSB
Cooling: ChillTec – Thermally Conductive Copper Heat Pipes (4)
Graphics Card: Primary – GeForce 8800 GTX (XFX)– 768MB/DDR3 = GeForce 6800 XT (XFX) 256MB/DDR3
Sound Card: Sound Max 7.1 integrated
RAM: Cold Fusion DDR3 (4 x 1024MB) 1066MHz (4 Gigs)
HDD: WD Raptor 150GB and Hitachi 750gig 10k rpm
PSU: ASPIRE 680W – SLI – Triple fan
DVD: Sony DRU-170C /Liteon 52X CD-RW & 16X DVD-ROM
Monitor: Gateway HD 22” (Main)/ View Sonic 21 HD (Left)/ View Sonic 21 HD (Right)
Keyboard: ZBoard (Need I say more)
Mouse: Razer (Copperhead)
Speakers: Altec-Lansing 5.1 40W
Temp: 34 C (No Load) / 43 C (Load)

Couple questions: When you beat up on your comp with Prime 95 or Everest, does it pass stress testing? Can it run Memtest for a long period of time (several hours)?

The reason I ask is that some Mobos don't like running 4 DIMMS at their rated speeds. Often you need to downclock them a step (from 1066 to 800, for example) in order to get the system solid. I suspect this may be the issue.

Heat would be the second suspect, since there's a cycle of shutting down after a period of time of somewhat stressful operation: So when you say your temps are 34~45 (which sounds about right, BTW) what exactly are you referring to? How hot are your video cards running?

It's common wisdom to not screw with the Bios as long as the computer is running well. Probably not the source of the issue tho.

I haven't played with SLI, but I'm curious why the pair of cards is so mismatched in terms of relative power. I was under the impression that it was best to run a matched pair. Tho if you are just running the smaller one to have a second monitor, that shouldn't be too much of a big deal. I still have some doubt tho, since the different series' cards would normally use different drivers. So a conflict here is possible, even with one of the cards removed, since both drivers would still be present.

Oh - Damned nice rig. :D

Hajosy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
When running Prime 95 I do get an error, however, I do not know where it is (if it is the memory) How do I down clock it to test and see if that fixes the problem?
About the video cards... I am not running SLI, but using three monitors. The 8800 controls my main screen (middle) and the 6800 the left and right. (I use Ultramon to fix the back ground, but uninstalled it while trying to pinpoint the issue with the computer)

I doubt the video card is getting to hot, but I have not checked it. Even when I remove the lid I still have the problem. (I even have heat sinks on both video cards with an extra fan)
I thought I was going to plugin and kick butt.... :(

KK - Your RAM is rated 1066. You can use CPU-Z to see what speed you're actually running from Windows.

To change settings, g into the Bios on startup. Two things to check: The first obvious thing is how much Voltage - most 1066 stuff runs at about 2.1 volts. Try *one* notch higher, and see does that solve the issue. It may or may not. If not, go back in there, set the voltage back down, and then set the memory dividers to a slower memory setting. i.e. if it's 1066, you should be able to set the dividers to run the memory at 800.

Thats right, jump to conclusions again without even reading what the OP said. If you don't like Vista, don't use it.

There should be an option in your BIOS to change the speed. Just look around. It should be on the same page where you can adjust your timings.

Hajosy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Seems to be working!! I will try an outline what I changed just in case someone else has the same issues.

First, thank you everyone for the help.

Second and what I actually changed. I looked up some over clocking info on the web (sorry, I don't remember the page) and found that the memory that I had should be 5-5-5-15 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) I started to play around with the settings and I guess I got it right (still pending a benchmark) I tried 4-4-4-12 and the computer worked, but was having a totally different set of issues. I next decided to back up and only try one at a time. (I chose the largest number the 15 (TRAS) I changed it down to 13 and rebooted. I ran Prime95 for 2 hours and no issue where they were coming in less than two minutes. I also loaded Call of Duty 4 and played it for about 3 hours. Seems to be holding. I will run Prime95 over night and see is it still is holding up tomorrow.

~~~Question~~~
What is the TRAS - What does it do? Does lowering is slow the computer (memory) down or speed it up?

Thanks again everyone. I was thinking that I was going to have to install XP and see if that worked and did not what to do it. :)