Vista recovery problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

piceki

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Hi,
I've got Toshiba Satellite A200 with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and Recovery CD/DVD for this system.
Last week I decided to install Fedora 10.
I modified partition with data to get 20BG free space for Linux using GPart. Then installed Fedora. After that I decided to come back to Vista, so formatted partition of Linux. There was a problem with Grub but I rid of ot by Super Grub CD.
Now:
1. Vista starts loading files but hangs on a black screen.
2. F8 and Startup Repair from System Recovery Option never ends (last I kept it for 48h, then switched off the computer).
3. Recovery CD starts good but after choosing a language and pressing OK, it gives two DOS windows containing:
Waiting for ODD to become available ...
ODD Drive E: ready.
Check for medium in drive E: ...
Continue...
Failed to initialize the raid class.
No RAID - continue normally ...
Installation in progress ...
Press any key to continue . . .
<Enter>
X:\windows\system32>

Checking for HDD1
HDD1 not found!
Try to remove all letters from potential partition on HDD 0 ...

As I can see Vista installation is still on a partition with assigned name - C.
I haven’t touch the Recovery Partition so it should be fine.

What should I do? Please help!

piceki

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Is it safe? I've read that by formatting partition C, you remove some file necessary for recovery from CD. As I remember that was a case for HP. I hope Toshiba will not have a problem. What do you think?

piceki

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Zoron,
Thanks for your help. Not too many people had anything to say with regards to this problem. Perhaps, an unusual issue.
As I haven't burned my Revoery Partition on DVDs, I decided not to take a risk and have given my laptop back to Toshiba. I hope the warranty will cover this problem.
Cheers,
Peter

aShTiG

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Waiting for ODD to become available ...
ODD Drive E: ready.
Check for medium in drive E: ...
Continue...
Failed to initialize the raid class.
No RAID - continue normally ...
Installation in progress ...
Press any key to continue . . .
<Enter>
X:\windows\system32>

how can i delete and format the C partition?

fiuzatec

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
SOLUTION FOR VIsta Reinstall "Waiting for ODD ..."

I've called to TOSHIBA and the answer was the same than others on multiple sites. They sugested to send back the Laptop to TOSHIBA !

...but I found the solution !

Press F2 at startup, enter BIOS SETUP and change the SATA MODE to 'COMPATIBILITY'

That's all folks !

Greetings from Portugal !

sweetie82

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Thank you! This solution works :D

mirniva

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
hi,
I have the same problem with my computer,where can I find the SATA MODE on my TOSHIBA P200 1IF please,it's very important!I'm not an expert in informatic and in computer!help me!thank you

_wolfie_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Believe it or not but you have fallen foul of Toshiba's anything will do policy , there recovery cd's are very flimsy and have yet to find one that wasn't scratched or marked in some way , i guess there made on the cheap by a third party , anyway there is another very simple solution , use some kitchen towel and fold it several times , wet one corner and wipe the disc in the the same way you would wipe a plate , then dry it and put it back in , hasn't failed me once , after that i burn my own image on to a good make of dvd and use that if i have to , hope this helps you if your at your wits end.

iasc82

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
i am trying to restore my toshiba satellite a200 to its factory settings but it will not reload windows vista. it stops at around 47% and says

Error restoring image.

The device is not ready.
Error: ImageX couldnot apply vista E:\05006XSP.swm Index 2 from ODD to C:\!
Press any Key to continue.

when i press to continue the whole process restarts and the same thing happens again.

any ideas whats wrong please??

Trisped

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010

Thank you SO much.

A friend brought me a Toshiba laptop which wasn't boot, so I plugged the HDD into my PC, found the recovery creation software (program files/toshiba/create recover or somthing). I created 2 recovery disks, the first one was just a test, the second one on a 8 GB flash drive. Since the second one I would give to the owner of the laptop I tried it. I got to that cmd screen which has the title: "X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe - startnet.cmd" and it said "Waiting for ODD to become available ..." and wouldn't go any further.

After trying everything I could think of with the second disk, I happened to try the first and ran into the same 'COMPATIBILITY' mode issue with the SATA drive. I guess the second recovery disk was bad.

Thanks, no I can finally give this laptop back.

Status
Not open for further replies.