Vista to Windows 7 Free Upgrade Plans Leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
cr*p it does not apply to me. what about all the existing vista users. Microsoft could score a victory over apple who is charging for it's upgrade, it could basically give it away or offer it at like $50 for existing vista victims, i mean users :-> they have a lot of cash on hand, if they give it away they would not only look good, but they would backup apple into the corner of looking bad or having to also give it away and not making any money, that would drop apple's stock price and ability to innovate, if you deny them access to new cash from upgrades.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Allowing all Vista users to cheaply upgrade would be smart, free would be even smarter. They'd essentially turn the majority of Vista users into Windows 7 users, giving hardware companies huge incentive to create proper drivers, and smaller developers incentive to keep compatibility.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Allowing all Vista users to cheaply upgrade would be smart, free would be even smarter. They'd essentially turn the majority of Vista users into Windows 7 users, giving hardware companies huge incentive to create proper drivers, and smaller developers incentive to keep compatibility.[/citation]

The incentive of a business is to make money, not give away products. There is absolutely no chance in hell that Microsoft will offer free upgrade from Vista to 7 just because some people didn't like it. 0%.

MrBradley

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
We can only pray that microsoft will charge a small fee for existing vista users to upgrade. We have had to sit through this bullshit, we deserve better from micro$oft.

Spathi

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I paid for vista and never installed it.. never even used the key. They should qualify all people who never used their vista key or went back to XP after using the Visa key for a few months.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]The incentive of a business is to make money, not give away products. There is absolutely no chance in hell that Microsoft will offer free upgrade from Vista to 7 just because some people didn't like it. 0%.[/citation]
How many Businesses are running Vista right now?

Face it, XP still has the largest market share. Free upgrades would give it a large chuck of the market share out of the gate, increasing development support, and would give Businesses a huge incentive to upgrade.

Microsoft would make money when Businesses still running XP decide to upgrade to Windows 7.

However, in order to work, they would have to offer the free upgrade only to people who purchased Vista before the announcement of free upgrade (so you couldn't buy Vista as a cheaper method of getting 7).

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]How many Businesses are running Vista right now?Face it, XP still has the largest market share. Free upgrades would give it a large chuck of the market share out of the gate, increasing development support, and would give Businesses a huge incentive to upgrade.Microsoft would make money when Businesses still running XP decide to upgrade to Windows 7.However, in order to work, they would have to offer the free upgrade only to people who purchased Vista before the announcement of free upgrade (so you couldn't buy Vista as a cheaper method of getting 7).[/citation]

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you but from a business standpoint there is no legitimate argument for giving away the software.

The businesses still using XP aren't going to switch to Mac OS X or linux so the Windows market share isn't going to change. They are either going to purchase Windows 7 licenses and upgrade their business or they are not. In the eyes of Microsoft every business currently running XP or Vista is a potential buyer. Why would you give away software to a potential buyer?

Developer support is going to be fine. Programs that work on Vista are 95% likely to work on 7 and those that don't work won't need major re-codes because the basic kernel hasn't changed much. Most software from the past 5 years will be 7-ready out of the gate. Giving away the software isn't going to change that.

There is just no reason, outside of wishful thinking, for Microsoft to give away the software. None.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
[citation][nom]ozarkamax[/nom]just get the system builder/oem version. but wait for the 1st service pack or you'll be sorry.[/citation]

They are already sorry so that is your point?

ag3nt smith

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Vista (after SP1) is a fair OS. I haven't had any problems with it and I bought it the 2nd week it was out. Microsoft will not just sell the software for free, they may reduce the price though. I suggest Microsoft clip the price for users who bought their comp with Vista by at least 50, clip the system builders by 25 and sell the rest at market prices... or at least give them free tech support till SP2 for 7 comes out.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]MrBradley[/nom]We can only pray that microsoft will charge a small fee for existing vista users to upgrade. We have had to sit through this bullshit, we deserve better from micro$oft.[/citation]

I read somewhere that the upgrade will cost like $250, ouch!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]In the eyes of Microsoft every business currently running XP or Vista is a potential buyer. Why would you give away software to a potential buyer?[/citation]
Maybe you misunderstood what I said. I'm not saying the upgrade path from XP should be free, just the one from Vista.

[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]There is just no reason, outside of wishful thinking, for Microsoft to give away the software. None.[/citation]
You don't think it would enhance the perception of Windows 7 in the eyes of the general public?

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
All Windows 7 is is Vista with a nice service pack on it. They could and SHOULD release a service pack or some update for Vista users. I think it's stupid that if you knew 7 was coming and you still bought Vista Microsoft will give you the new OS when you knew it was coming. That, compared to us who bought Vista right away without knowing Microsoft would screw us over. It should be those who were in the unknown who should get a break, not the ones who were stupid enough to buy Vista when they knew about 7.

G

I have 2 legit copies of vista that I never used, instead I just kept using xp. Unless MS offers a really good upgrade price from vista to 7, I am not going to use 7.

If I did not own vista, I would be more willing to buy 7 if they did offer a low upgrade price for existing vista users, although it would not effect me directly. The last thing any consumer dreads is for 7 to be a flop like vista, if MS shows consumer appreciation with low priced upgrades, people would be more willing to buy 7 outright because there is a good chance that history would repeat itself and MS would give them a low priced upgrade to Vista2 if 7 turns out to be a turd pie.

ozarkamax

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kewl Munky[/nom]All Windows 7 is is Vista with a nice service pack on it. They could and SHOULD release a service pack or some update for Vista users. I think it's stupid that if you knew 7 was coming and you still bought Vista Microsoft will give you the new OS when you knew it was coming. That, compared to us who bought Vista right away without knowing Microsoft would screw us over. It should be those who were in the unknown who should get a break, not the ones who were stupid enough to buy Vista when they knew about 7.[/citation]

you can get 64 bit premium for 99.99 and it will support the 4 gigs of ram most people will at least get for a new system. not stupid. stupid would be buying windows 7 day one of release and complaining that there is no driver/software support.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Kewl Munky[/nom]All Windows 7 is is Vista with a nice service pack on it. They could and SHOULD release a service pack or some update for Vista users.[/citation]
Vista SP2 beta was already released. It will be coming out before Windows 7, and will include DirectX 11.

[citation][nom]Kewl Munky[/nom]I think it's stupid that if you knew 7 was coming and you still bought Vista Microsoft will give you the new OS when you knew it was coming.[/citation]
It's for people who are trying to decide whether or not to buy a new computer now, or wait until Windows 7 comes out.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is really funny stuff, sorry I can't help but laugh.

It's Vista SP2 - only it's called Windows 7. You guys and gals are cracking me up. And exactly what makes you think this OS is gonna be any better than the failed Vista?? It's based on the Vista code base.

Yes there is supposed to be a Vista SP2 -- NO, it will not include DX11. But does it matter? Very few games are developed for DX10, and none for DX10.1 so what is the point of DX11?

Mac OS X is doing just fine in sales, in fact it is slowly but surely taking away Microsoft's dominant OS market share.

Apple are releasing a new OS BEFORE Microsoft, it's $179 - one version does all. There will be some real changes in the OS, full 64bit support is one.

People buying new computers are people buying laptops, guess who sells the most laptops -- yes that would be Apple. Heck, if you don't believe me, just go to your local coffee shop and look around, oh you see some Mac laptops....hmmm...what do ya know.

Games are gonna be consoles, the PC is gonna die for so many reasons -- software piracey being one. Apple will survive cause you can still pretty much do whatever the hell you want on OS X. And the we have free open source, most of which works best on OS X or Linux. Yes that is FREE and PC dweebs love the sound of FREE.

Unless Microsoft make some fundamental business changes, they're just pushing out the same garbage.

photoguru

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Funny... there's no possible way for Apple to take over the OS market. Apple doesn't actually want it to; unless that means that over half of the computers sold were made by Apple.

Stop being such a fagtard elitist and realize that Apple isn't trying to have an answer for everyone's needs. They do what they do best... get people like you to buy into their superior image.

I work all day on the glorious 8 core MacPros and I usually can't wait to get home and fire up my real computer. Maybe it's just me but everything is much more responsive on a decent PC.

photoguru

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]This is really funny stuff, sorry I can't help but laugh.It's Vista SP2 - only it's called Windows 7. You guys and gals are cracking me up. And exactly what makes you think this OS is gonna be any better than the failed Vista?? It's based on the Vista code base.Yes there is supposed to be a Vista SP2 -- NO, it will not include DX11. But does it matter? Very few games are developed for DX10, and none for DX10.1 so what is the point of DX11?Mac OS X is doing just fine in sales, in fact it is slowly but surely taking away Microsoft's dominant OS market share.Apple are releasing a new OS BEFORE Microsoft, it's $179 - one version does all. There will be some real changes in the OS, full 64bit support is one.People buying new computers are people buying laptops, guess who sells the most laptops -- yes that would be Apple. Heck, if you don't believe me, just go to your local coffee shop and look around, oh you see some Mac laptops....hmmm...what do ya know.Games are gonna be consoles, the PC is gonna die for so many reasons -- software piracey being one. Apple will survive cause you can still pretty much do whatever the hell you want on OS X. And the we have free open source, most of which works best on OS X or Linux. Yes that is FREE and PC dweebs love the sound of FREE.Unless Microsoft make some fundamental business changes, they're just pushing out the same garbage.[/citation]

Funny... there's no possible way for Apple to take over the OS market. Apple doesn't actually want it to; unless that means that over half of the computers sold were made by Apple.

Stop being such a fagtard elitist and realize that Apple isn't trying to have an answer for everyone's needs. They do what they do best... get people like you to buy into their superior image.

Also... you do realize your $179 OS that only has one version also only installs on your Apple hardware so it doesn't really matter to anyone else if it was free or $500 unless they buy an Apple or a Hackintosh.

I work all day on the glorious 8 core MacPros and I usually can't wait to get home and fire up my real computer. Maybe it's just me but everything is much more responsive on a decent PC.

pcfxer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]photoguru[/nom]Funny... there's no possible way for Apple to take over the OS market. Apple doesn't actually want it to; unless that means that over half of the computers sold were made by Apple.Stop being such a fagtard elitist and realize that Apple isn't trying to have an answer for everyone's needs. They do what they do best... get people like you to buy into their superior image.Also... you do realize your $179 OS that only has one version also only installs on your Apple hardware so it doesn't really matter to anyone else if it was free or $500 unless they buy an Apple or a Hackintosh. I work all day on the glorious 8 core MacPros and I usually can't wait to get home and fire up my real computer. Maybe it's just me but everything is much more responsive on a decent PC.[/citation]

Funny how, you, being an expert and everything, has just double posted.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Allowing all Vista users to cheaply upgrade would be smart, free would be even smarter. They'd essentially turn the majority of Vista users into Windows 7 users, giving hardware companies huge incentive to create proper drivers, and smaller developers incentive to keep compatibility.[/citation]

I was saying the exact same thing on an article about Windows 7 looking like a Vista service pack. Yet people were saying my view on the point was stupid. Now that this is official news, people change their mind, bunch of sheeps if you ask me. Anyway, good move from Microsoft, something we don't see often. Grats and thanks to them. That move is superb, yet a cheap upgrade for pre-july 2009 Vista customers, like you suggest, would also be great, otherwise it's kindda is injust to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.