Vista to Windows 7 Free Upgrade Plans Leaked?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Even if the upgrade version is free or very close to free I will probably still buy a full version. I played that game before. In the days of Dos/windows 3.1 - Windows 95/98/me i had upgrade versions and it was nightmare. You had to install the oldest OS first than upgrade it through every OS ever made. You have to keep all the media together in a working state and keep track of all your product keys. At some point my time is worth more than the 50 bucks I saved. At least let it be like office where I can just drop the old disc in to show I own a qualifying version.

videoguy702

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
We all know Windows Vista was a poorly written operating system. We all paid for this mistake. Now, Microsoft wants us to pay full price for the correction in the form of Windows 7.

It's kinda like ordering a steak at a restaurant, after you've eaten your meal you get the check and see the price of the steak is higher than the menu price. You ask the waiter and he tells you the steak was harder to cook than originally thought, so the cook passes on his extra effort onto you in the form of more money.

Is that an honest thing to do (both the restaurant & Microsoft)?????

G

Vista Business is okay, but as far as Home Premium goes that is a pos. After I replaces Home Premium with Business, stuff started working better. Vista is another Microsoft mess-up just like Windows Me was. Current Vista users shouldn't have to pay full price for a "working" version of Vista. Yes, companies do need to make their money, so a discount of some sort for current Vista users would work just fine. If not, then they are just as lame as Apple for charging you for updates. If a company makes a crap product, then the customers should not have to pay for a solution to their mistake.

G

A better upgrade would be to move to Linux. It is free and much more stable (as well as more secure) than anything that Micro$oft has ever produced.

G

it's people's own fault for supporting MS. There are alternatives out there. *Obviously*
I don't think Apple wants to be the dominant OS, just like I doubt Porsche or Ferrari want to be. It's not about that.
It's about making something intuitive, beautiful, and powerful. Something that works in a way that people can actually use.

Just because you sell the most cars doesn't mean you're the best ;-)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]patg7590[/nom]It's about making something intuitive, beautiful, and powerful. Something that works in a way that people can actually use.[/citation]
Windows is some pretty great software.

[citation][nom]patg7590[/nom]Just because you sell the most cars doesn't mean you're the best ;-)[/citation]
And just because you're a pretentious douche doesn't mean you're the best.

prakalejas

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
I have HP laptop, which came with Vista Buisness. Having in mind, that it was ~1.5 years ago, I swiched to XP from the begining. It would be nice, if I could simply install windows 7 and use existing windows vista licence. I had to spend some time to downgrade the OS, but I paid for new version (which sucked), so it would be a nice gesture from micro&soft to make it possible for such users as I am to install Win7 free or with minimal charge.
By the way - when bying new laptop I had now option to buy PC with XP licence... And how differs users, who baught PC before 2009 july 1 and after?

gloriamae

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I bought my HP Vista in May of 09. I did not want Vista, but was told that was it. Best Buy gave me no choice and I needed a computer. Well,needless to say,I HATE Vista! I just found out a free upgrade was offered from JUNE to DECEMBER. I bought my computer in MAY. So I have ordered upgrade for 50.00. I am very upset with microsoft and Bill Gates! Let's all go with MAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.