Vista won't connect to secure network

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutterbumber

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Hello - I have a CompUSA (FMI) wireless router running WPA (TKIP) w/ passphrase. Works great on several XP Pro machines. Just purchased a Gateway MX3705 w/ Vista Home Premium. It finds the network but will not connect, and when I "diagnose" the problem it says it failed for "an unknown reason." There is an un-secured network in my neighborhood, and the computer can connect fine to this, so I think the card is OK.

Things I've tried:

-Removing security from our wireless network. Still wouldn't connect.
-Changing mode from "AP" to "ad-hoc". Connected! But my wired machines would not connect, and it still wouldn't allow any kind of security.

Any ideas?

Update: Tried to get it to work with a USB wireless adapter and still no luck. Must be some incompatibility between Vista and the router.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I have Ultimate and received the exact same problem. I found that my wireless Linksys USB G card, version 4, lost more than half its range using Vista drivers. I placed my D-Link router on a higher shelf to make sure nothing was in the way of transmission and that completely solved the problem. I am waiting for good Linksys drivers to improve the range again.

Status
Not open for further replies.