Visual artifacts appearing ONLY in one game?

monkeylord

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Just bought portal 2 off steam for 5 bucks. Been playing it a lot recently. After about idk over an hour and a half maybe some intense graohic artifacts appear causing me to alt tab out of the game. Once im on the desktop im fine, meaning nothing weird visually. I immediately assumed the graphics card is dying, but when i play other games nothing happens at all. I used furmark to do a burn in test and noticed nothing. My temps after long hours of gaming seem to be in the high 60s range. Ive only tested league of legends and i know that isnt a graphic intensive game so im going to re install skyrim tomorrow and see how it goes. Also i tried the "verify integrity of game cache" on steam and nothing has changed. Ive run multiple virus scans and everything appears clean. Any help/troubleshooting will be appreciated.

Specs
two GeForce GTX 275 2.6gb vram
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
MSI (Micro Star) P55-GD65 motherboard
4gb ram

Solution
If I remember correctly there are som circumstances with portal 2 that result in flickering. For me it was the newest drivers (AMD though) that caused flickering and artifacts. Once I rolled back to the driver before that there was no issues with the game. You may want to lock your fps with v-sync and see if that helps but the point is that it's probably just the game and not your card.

Mahisse

Distinguished
If I remember correctly there are som circumstances with portal 2 that result in flickering. For me it was the newest drivers (AMD though) that caused flickering and artifacts. Once I rolled back to the driver before that there was no issues with the game. You may want to lock your fps with v-sync and see if that helps but the point is that it's probably just the game and not your card.

Solution