Question Visual bugs/artifacts on second monitor only

Oct 1, 2023
Hello,

I would like to get some feedback on an issue that I have been experiencing, as I might be overlooking something.

The pc will be one year old in December and this issue started around a bit over one month ago, which is when I started experiencing visual glitches on my second monitor (Artifacts and glitches do not happen on main monitor).
This started happening after a couple of weeks after I replaced my second monitor.
About the glitches, they happen more often if the second monitor is reproducing any type of media content, youtube, twitch, etc, but it also happens if just has the file explorer open. This does not appear on screen recording, only through photos or videos recorded outside of the computer. These type of artifacts, managed to crash the pc on 2 separate occasions.

For this issue to be reproduced, and to share more information, this happens under very specific situations, which are:
- A game is present and running on main monitor
- You alt+tab to the other window/monitor while the game is running in the background

So far, I have ensured all latest drivers are installed, tried rollback gpu drivers, reseated all components, checked cables, tried other cables to connect to monitors, changed ports on the gpu where the cables were connected, changed monitors resolution/refresh rate, switched secondary monitor and did a clean install of windows. Even after all that, it is the same result.

One thing I did recently that seemed to aliviate these issues was to flash the bios. Once I updated Bios version, the issues went from being constant to seeing flashes or green lines 5-7 times in a full day.

At this point, I´m at a loss because nothing seemed to fix the issue and I don´t have other components to try and check if it is a faulty GPU for exemple. Which also is kinda weird, because it never happens on the main monitor and because the bios update made a huge impact, going as far as to reduce this issues by almost 99%.

The pc still is under warranty, but with me trying to fix the issue, the issue itself was drastically reduced and only starts happening after a few hours turned on. Because of this I'm pretty sure if I leave the pc at the store, they will say they were not able to reproduce the issue and claim nothing is wrong, as they have done to me in the past.

After looking, it appears more users have also posted similar issues. I already sent a few messages, to see if they were able to fix it. So this might be a windows/driver update issue, as it started for everyone around the same time. One thing that it appears we all have in common is RX6800 or 6800XT.

As for the issue, I will leave this video here, of when the issues were worse, so you can see it:

For hardware:

- Asrock x670E Steel Legend
- Ryzen 7600
- XFX RX6800XT
- Cooler Master 750w Gold
- G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2x16gb) DDR-6000MHz
- KIOXIA Exceria Pro Gen4 2TB 3D TLC NVMe
- Extended-ATX Corsair iCUE 4000x

- Main monitor: Xiaomi 34'' (1440p - 144HZ)
- Second monitor was a Dell 27'' and now I connected the old AOC 27'' (1080p - 75hz) which is also showing same issues

Any ideias or feedback can help.
Thanks

Last edited: