Question Visual Freezing on PC when playing games requires hard reset

Hankthunderskull

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
I have been having this issue a while and not sure what to do.

Playing fairly graphically modern games tends to freeze my/crash the game and show a frozen frame of earlier in the game. The sound continues and I can still hear and talk to my friends on discord shortly after. After a while they can no longer hear me but I can hear them.

The PC seems completely unresponsive and even the capslock on the keyboard doesn't light up.

I've noticed that it seems to happen when the weather is warm more often. And doesn't seem to crash on older or less graphically impressive games.
I repasted my cpu worried that may be the issue but that didnt fix it. I also reinstalled my GPU drivers cleanly twice and still it persists
My GPU is quite old now gtx 970 so not sure if that is the cause.

In the event viewer I have an error before it crashes:

event 0 nvlddmkm
Description:
The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video4
Error occurred on GPUID: 2d00

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Specs:
Ryzen 3900x
gtx 970
WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 Gaming Solid State Drive
CORSAIR CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 VENGEANCE LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard
Corsair RM850 PSU

Jun 30, 2022
I am having the same situation here bro, tried up to everything that i could find about it (game mode, driver reset and update, and etc...) so far nothing, i just noticed that we have the same processor and a similar motherboard, i hope it is not a hardware problem... My GPU is a Aorus 2070 super. If you find a fix por it please post here, ty!.

Hankthunderskull

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
I am having the same situation here bro, tried up to everything that i could find about it (game mode, driver reset and update, and etc...) so far nothing, i just noticed that we have the same processor and a similar motherboard, i hope it is not a hardware problem... My GPU is a Aorus 2070 super. If you find a fix por it please post here, ty!.

Hey I haven't fully fixed it but I managed to stop my whole computer from freezing whenever a game crashes.

For me I used the registry editor to change TdrLevel from 0 to 1(or any number above 0) I assume the cause of the crashes is my old GPU but at least after this the game just crashes and the computer continues on just fine

Jun 30, 2022
Hey I haven't fully fixed it but I managed to stop my whole computer from freezing whenever a game crashes.

For me I used the registry editor to change TdrLevel from 0 to 1(or any number above 0) I assume the cause of the crashes is my old GPU but at least after this the game just crashes and the computer continues on just fine

Oh got it, but i dont know if it is becouse of your old GPU, since mine is only two years old now, it supose to work just fine, i hope it is not it. Tried to run some system repairs today and it didn't worked at all...