[SOLVED] Visual problems with brand new PC (Now inescapable blue screen)

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Hi all,

Just got my first (desktop) PC, chose all the parts and it was built for me before being sent out. Aaaaaand ever since I've got it I've basically been troubleshooting, because there's been a vast array of weird problems. mostly with games.

So first, I try Doom and Spyro, and both freeze and lock up the PC in no more than ten minutes (while using a DisplayPort cable). Then later on, I try Spyro again, and suddenly everything's looking a hell of a lot darker than usual.

20190905224948-1.jpg

20190905224950-1.jpg

Then after THAT, I launch Sekiro, and somehow my screen looks like this.

Somehow I get out of that, can't remember how, but then I discover that turning HDR on in the game makes the screen look like this.

So I take the DisplayPort out and try playing with the HDMI, which went fine for 20 minutes or so. Then, with the game closed, I put the DisplayPort back in and it starts displaying at 480p. Then I take it out, put it back in again after a few minutes and suddenly it's fine.

THEN I go back to Spyro with the DP, all is fine for about 40 minutes. After that, I launch Sekiro... and my PC restarts.

So yeah, haven't even had this machine for 24 hours and I'm already at a complete loss.

Specs:

NZXT H500 Mid Tower Gaming Case
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz
Corsair TX650M 650W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD
x2 BitFenix Spectre PWM 140mm Fan - White
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING 8GB
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (non-Wifi) Motherboard

Other random issues that still aren't fixed that may or may not be connected:

• Windows Store is completely screwed and closes the instant after launching, nothing I've looked up has helped. Related apps like Photos are the same.
  • CPU cooler (stock) is surprisingly loud as hell. Even just during general browsing it sounds like it's preparing for liftoff (video). Not sure if that's normal, but it sure is distracting.
  • Various apps/files have told me I don't have the permission to view them, or something along those lines. I looked up some solutions and had no luck.
  • I actually already reset the entire PC (kept my personal files but removed all apps/settings) because I was having issues with the taskbar - search bar, Windows button, volume button etc weren't working. That's fine now.
I have no idea what the problem is, whether it's the DisplayPort cable, or the monitor (doubt it as I've been using it with a laptop for a month already with no issues), or the GPU, I dunno. But goddamn this is annoying. I do have the latest drivers installed.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just tried Sekiro again. Screen is effed with DP, fine with HDMI.
EDIT 2: Generally having less problems with the HDMI, and I used the DP for a bit just now and my PC restarted right after I disconnected it.
EDIT 3: PC just randomly restarted as I tried to install some apps from the disc that came with my motherboard...

Last edited:
Solution
I'm of the opinion you clearly paid for a functional computer and you DO NOT have one. Theres no reason for you to spend time/money when the system clearly has multiple problems, most likely a defective GPU which caused your Windows install to get corrupted.

If they don't answer emails its time for a phone call. They need to fix or replace this.

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
That is strange.... But good. Interested to see how it does long term. I wouldn't 100% trust it just yet.
Yeah, I was paranoid about it coming back, and while it was good for over 24 hours it's JUST started crashing and sometimes restarting again. Although so far it's only been with Sekiro, every time it goes to a loading screen. I haven't tried anything else yet.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The crashing from the GPU has borked your windows install.

Do you have anything important on there? If so you'll need to pull the hard drive plug it into something else and pull the data off it.

Then Youll need to wipe the system and reinstall Windows.

Where did you get this thing from? The issues you have are unacceptable. I'd contact them and tell them to replace it, or give you your money back.

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
The crashing from the GPU has borked your windows install.

Do you have anything important on there? If so you'll need to pull the hard drive plug it into something else and pull the data off it.

Then Youll need to wipe the system and reinstall Windows.

Where did you get this thing from? The issues you have are unacceptable. I'd contact them and tell them to replace it, or give you your money back.
Nothing super important yet, just game stuff. I've only had this thing for like two days, and I don't have a clue how to remove an SSD and connect it to a laptop so I guess I'd rather just wipe it and save myself the trouble.

I'm in the UK and got it from CCL Computers, who are supposed to be pretty good as far as I know. I actually already told them about the problems via email, shortly before I made this thread. They still haven't said a thing, which is... strange considering they usually reply within the hour, if that. Kinda miffed me off a bit.

Not sure how to wipe it and reinstall Windows, to be honest. Can't even get out of this blue screen. (EDIT: Oh, is it just like when you install W10 to a new system? I did that the other day. It was either that or pay CCL another £100.)

Is this actually fixable? I was under the impression something had died and I'd have to return it. If the GPU's screwed wouldn't the problems come back?

Last edited:
That CPU cooler noise you mentioned struck me. Was it still doing that after the uninstall / reinstall of the video card drivers? Just makes me wonder if the CPU cooler came loose or wasn't seated properly, which should be under warranty replacement by them. To confirm, you can go into your BIOS and look at temps from there. Also, are you sure it was the CPU fan and not the video card fan? Both can get fairly loud.

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
That CPU cooler noise you mentioned struck me. Was it still doing that after the uninstall / reinstall of the video card drivers? Just makes me wonder if the CPU cooler came loose or wasn't seated properly, which should be under warranty replacement by them. To confirm, you can go into your BIOS and look at temps from there. Also, are you sure it was the CPU fan and not the video card fan? Both can get fairly loud.
Yeah, it's never stopped making that noise. I'm actually not 100% sure it's the CPU, but it's around that area. I'd never considered it being the GPU... for some reason. Would make sense if it was. Just pressed my ear right up to it and I'm pretty confident it's the CPU, although I can't be sure.

I have some screenshots of temps here, this is with barely anything running:

Screenshot-4.png

Temps with MSI Kombustor running:

Screenshot-5.png

After running Doom for a few minutes at 1440p:

Screenshot-7.png

Anywho, about to install W10 onto this thing yet again... fun.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm of the opinion you clearly paid for a functional computer and you DO NOT have one. Theres no reason for you to spend time/money when the system clearly has multiple problems, most likely a defective GPU which caused your Windows install to get corrupted.

If they don't answer emails its time for a phone call. They need to fix or replace this.

Reactions: Clueless1200
Solution