Visual Studio 2012 Developer System

tridy

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi, everyone.

I currently have Intel Core Extreme Q6850 3.0GHz, 8GB of RAM, a pair of WD 300 GB discs running on RAID 0 and a separate WD 500 GB. Plus 8600GTS which is passively cooled. The system is quite stable but it is a bit noisy. In addition, Q6850 does not do virtualization that is required to tun Windows Phone 8 Emulator from Visual Studio. So I am planning to give this one to my sister and build myself a new one.

The requirements for my system are mainly Visual Studio development. A not-so-big developer SQL database. I will probably be editing and (re)encoding MP4 video taken from the camera into Xvid or WMV. Well, If I will be able to run a game occasionally, that would be good as well. But I would rather spend resources on cpu/memory/disk performance rather than gpu.

So, what I want to do is to build my own desktop that will be as quiet as possible. The video should be able to handle 2x27" monitors.

Here is the system that I have come up so far:
http://www.computing.net/tomsbuilder/11732

If someone could look at it and comment what they think could be done better or make it more quiet, I would appreciate that.
Some other questions:

1. Should I really get a new GTX660 or will 8600GTS do alright? Or will On-Processor Ivy Video be better than 8600GTS?

2. When the On Processor video thing is not used, does it free up some resources to be used by the processor on other tasks?

3. Does RAM speed really matter a lot? I was thinking about getting 16GB of 2133, but would getting 1800 or 1333 mean thy will produce less heat? Will that have an impact on performance? Should I get 32GBx1333 instead of 16GBx2133? I am planning to use RAM discs to put the source code and maybe the whole Visual Studio there.

4. How does the control of the system fans speeds work? Keeping PC running for the night and downloading something in the background should not be that resource intensive. Is it possible to increase the fans speeds when the systems heats up and decrease when it cools down?

Anyways, any type of comment is welcome? Do you think I am overdoing something or underdoing?

Thanks a lot!

tridy

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
the list of components:

case: Fractal Design Fractal Design Define R4 Computer Case
power supply: Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard
processor: Intel Core i7 3770K Quad Core Processor
cooler: Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fa...
memory: Corsair XMS3 16 GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM Quad Channel
graphics: Asus GTX660-DC2T-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 Graphic Card
ssd: Intel Box 240GB 335 SSD SATA3 2.5IN MLC 9.5MM