[SOLVED] Visual Studio Runtime DLL errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDAsh

Prominent
Feb 7, 2020
I'm having trouble with MS Visual Studio Runtime Redistributables... AGAIN... (want to puke)
I installed some software that seemed to bork some of them and now MANY softwares are throwing DLL errors. I simply can not reinstall/repair even the last few recent releases unless I uninstall them, and when trying to do so, I get a popup such as:-
_

The feature you are trying to use is on a
network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
folder containing the installation package 'vc_red.msi'
in the box below.

Use source:
y:\e0a98a532ca298c1c63302\
_

Ugh, I don't even have a Y:!!!

So I'm looking for a brute-force way to remove them all, so I can actually reinstall them all again from scratch. I've actually done this before, hacking chunks out of my registry (not recommended) but it was a long time ago and I don't feel too confident, so if anyone can recommend any tools/utilities/whatever that could assist cleaning them all out or repairing them all or offer any help at all, please. I really don't understand this whole business with it looking for a file with a ridiculously vague filename, in a gibberish folder, on phantom drive I don't even have. It's like some evil practical joke.

LDAsh

Prominent
Feb 7, 2020
I managed to uninstall all packages, but now I get stuck on 2012 with error:-
__

vcredist2012_x86.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point LeaveCriticalSection could not be located in
the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll.
__

I got a copy of that DLL from a previous backup, infact I ended up trying to replace all api-ms-win*.dll files, but did not fix the issue. I searched through pages of Google results and tried multiple suggestions, some Windows updates, etc. Still can't get past 2012 package.

I stumbled across this article which explains how it's possible other DLLs that link to these, just for some functions. This DLL error might possibly be a result of completely different DLL problems:-
https://www.nirsoft.net/articles/windows_7_kernel_architecture_changes.html

So I might try MSVC* files or a few others, but, if the rabbithole goes too deep, I guess I'm looking at needing to reinstall Windows. That sucks because all I did was try to install a piece of software, which I don't want to name, but damn, I have no idea what went wrong. I missed a Windows update or borked a redist install somewhere, combined with installing the wrong thing at the wrong time...

LDAsh

Prominent
Feb 7, 2020
I don't want to possibly give a bad reputation to a piece of software that, for all I know, is completely innocent and just happened to "not jive" with my particular system. Maybe just had a different approach to how it handles the DLLs it requires.

I would really like to not have this topic derailed and hopefully focus on fixing the issue I'm having.

LDAsh

Prominent
Feb 7, 2020
Thanks for any advice. The rabbithole actually did go too deep and I don't have time to study how OS DLLs are referenced throughout the registry. What I did is use Acronis True Image to restore the OS from my laptop and restore it to my desktop, and amazingly that worked. I plan to make new images, once setup, and try the MSVC stuff (uninstall and reinstall) and then maybe try that software again, and see if it breaks everything again. If it does, then I'm going to consider it the work of the devil.

Solution: Acronis True Image.

D

Deleted member 14196

Thanks for any advice. The rabbithole actually did go too deep and I don't have time to study how OS DLLs are referenced throughout the registry. What I did is use Acronis True Image to restore the OS from my laptop and restore it to my desktop, and amazingly that worked. I plan to make new images, once setup, and try the MSVC stuff (uninstall and reinstall) and then maybe try that software again, and see if it breaks everything again. If it does, then I'm going to consider it the work of the devil.

Solution: Acronis True Image.
That’s the wrong move buddy. You couldn’t have done a worst thing in my opinion. You can’t take an operating system from a laptop and restore it to a desktop and expected to work. You don’t have a solution you have more problems on your hand now that you don’t even know about most likely

As suggested above you should do a full wipe and reinstall on the desktop and then start doing regular back ups

Status
Not open for further replies.