Visualize X550: does it support ACPI?

Hello,

I was wondering if the Kayak XW/Visualize X550 with Pentium III Xeon cpus
supports ACPI under Windows 2000 (OS is supported). The newest available
BIOS is from 2000.

I also have a HP NetServer E60 which BIOS is from 1999 and it already
supports ACPI.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

Christian Dürrhauer wrote:

> I was wondering if the Kayak XW/Visualize X550 with Pentium III Xeon
> cpus supports ACPI under Windows 2000 (OS is supported). The newest
> available BIOS is from 2000.

Well, it supports ACPI but not completely.

> I also have a HP NetServer E60 which BIOS is from 1999 and it already
> supports ACPI.

The E60 doesn't support ACPI completely, too. Especially the different PS
states are not supported...

But for both machines ACPI support is good enough for Windows or Linux to
manage the ressources...

Benjamin

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

On the seventh day, Benjamin Gawert wrote...

> Christian Dürrhauer wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if the Kayak XW/Visualize X550 with Pentium III Xeon
>> cpus supports ACPI under Windows 2000 (OS is supported). The newest
>> available BIOS is from 2000.
>
> Well, it supports ACPI but not completely.

I am sorry having to inform you that the X550 doesn't support any ACPI at
all. I've been told by an HP tech guy it should indeed support ACPI but it
turns out he was to quick in replying :-(
I was able to confirm this.

>> I also have a HP NetServer E60 which BIOS is from 1999 and it already
>> supports ACPI.
>
> The E60 doesn't support ACPI completely, too. Especially the different PS
> states are not supported...

Thank you so much for your valuable input.

100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

On the seventh day, Benjamin Gawert wrote...

> Christian Dürrhauer wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if the Kayak XW/Visualize X550 with Pentium III Xeon
>> cpus supports ACPI under Windows 2000 (OS is supported). The newest
>> available BIOS is from 2000.
>
> Well, it supports ACPI but not completely.

I am sorry having to inform you that the X550 doesn't support any ACPI at
all. I've been told by an HP tech guy it should indeed support ACPI but it
turns out he was to quick in replying :-(
I was able to confirm this when I did a clean install of Windows XP.
Forcing the ACPI kernel to load won't do no good (setup hangs). Letting
Windows do its thingy doesn't yield in an ACPI kernel being used, it's just
MPS.

>> I also have a HP NetServer E60 which BIOS is from 1999 and it already
>> supports ACPI.
>
> The E60 doesn't support ACPI completely, too. Especially the different PS
> states are not supported...

Thank you so much for your valuable input. You're exactly right regarding
the E60 - Windows 2000 is running exceptionally smoothly. Unfortunately
ACPI with the X550 and BIOS 11.08US is just not possible (yet, the machine
is as stable as the server). Guess I should have bought the successor of
the X550...

Christian Dürrhauer wrote:

>> Well, it supports ACPI but not completely.
>
> I am sorry having to inform you that the X550 doesn't support any
> ACPI at all. I've been told by an HP tech guy it should indeed
> support ACPI but it turns out he was to quick in replying :-(
> I was able to confirm this.

I wonder where You got that information from. Until last year I had an X550
myself, and this machine definitely supported ACPI, at least partially (it
supported ACPI ressource sharing modes, but none of the Power saving modes).
Heck, even my old trusty Kayak XU with 2xPII-333 supports ACPI partially...

Benjamin

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?