Vivo CASE-V10G: Tempered Glass And LED Fans On The Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the top mounted PSU is an odd choice these days that one doesn't bother me. The lack of optical drive rules it out for me. I had a rough time finding a case for my build last month that had at least a glass side panel and still had support for an optical drive.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Series. It's available with a tempered side glass. It also has plenty of options for liquid cooling if you wish, for me it cleared the NH-D15, which was my other requirement.

Overall I was very impressed with the case. Not quite as thick as Antec cases, but not as flimsy as Corsair cases. Reasonably thick I'd say. I was overall happy with the quality feel of the case. I didn't have any of the problems with the screws that of few of the reviewers mentioned on NewEgg. Everything was perfect on my case. Phantek has definitely improved the packaging, the case came packaged in a box inside a box (heavy weight cardboard too).

The only thing that was a little difficult at all was getting all the cables plugged into the PSU, as the the PSU cover is not removable. So as you start to plug cables in it gets cramped in there. However that may have just been my large hands. It was still workable.

Usually all cases have pros and cons, this case had basically nothing to complain about. When I build my son a new computer, I'll buy another one.

These budget case manufacturers keep shooting themselves in the foot by not supporting coolers up to at least 160mm. 165mm would be even better. I guess they all assume everybody is using water these days, which is a far cry from the reality. Since the average TDP doesn't seem to be dropping, and probably won't anytime soon, these guys need to wise up to the fact that most coolers worth using on anything that isn't micro or sff are going to be at least 160mm. Sure, there are a few like the Cryorig H7 that are smaller, but the majority are not going to fit that case which rules it out for a whole bunch of people.

One day they may offer a complete solution, something from their soul, in a manner of speaking. Every one of their offerings smack er smells er looks or "feels" like something else. I see that and it's trying to compete with those making the tempered glass cases. See that case? Look at this one
11-353-123-Z01.jpg
The Phanteks Evo or Eclipse + that = VIVO's offering. Sure, it's an original design by them. It just doesn't break any ground.

Consider their 24K Gold rated PSU(650W?). Look at the other PSU providers and their Gold offerings? Corsair? 5 year or better warranty. EVGA? 7 year warranty. VIVO? 3 years. Will I choose a company that stands behind their product for 3 years or one that stands behind it for 5 or 7? EVGA is my choice. They have confidence in their product and it shows in the warranty. VIVO running away after 3 years is disappointing.

Add in the fact that the most popular coolers(Cryorig H7 and the Evo 212) won't fit in there nor will it natively support a Windows 10 DVD disk and it looks even worse.

No thanks VIVO. One day you may release a PC case that is only yours. Something truly original that leads and doesn't follow. One day VIVO.

You are NOT the only one.

There are three others too. :)

Everybody else either has external USB drives or uses flash media now. Or even bluetooth to get data from phone, tablet, etc. to PC. That or they just stream everything. Personally, I use an external drive. The only people using internal optical drives anymore are those that are still on older machines, those who are not terrible technically inclined (Which doesn't include the majority of young people who are the main market now) or those who have simply not cared enough to upgrade a case at this point. Also, those using machines for business related functions, as many legal and professional entities still only make data available to the request of other by way of optical disk. So there is still a need for it out there, it just really isn't part of the enthusiast market anymore.

I don't think that's true... External USB drives are expensive, slow, and in my expierence don't last as long. Not to mention motherboards don't have as many USB ports on them as they used to. My lastest build has a fairly nice motherboard (GA-270X Gaming 7) and I still don't have enough USB ports. I have a powered USB 3.0 hub plugged in for a web cam and other unimportant accessories. I've yet to find a powered hub that is reliable enough for consistent data transfer that I would trust for something like CD/DVD burning. I think the fact that several have spoken up here saying they need an optical drive speaks for itself. All five machines in my house have one. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but my 7700k / 1070 rig has one, and I believe that would count as an "enthusiat" machine.

Lets not forget other reason to have that 5.25 bay. As even if you don't want an optical drive, I commonly see people on the forums looking for a case with one because they want the bay for a fan controller, or a card reader, removeable drive bay, etc.

It's not that ugly to have a block off plate.

People talk with their money. If what you say were true, manufacturers would not be outselling cases with external drive bays 10 to 1, and eliminating models that still have them. They care about making money, not about what the cases they sell look like. Manufacturers don't WANT you to buy cases without drive bays. If cases WITH those bays are what was selling, then that's what they would focus on and most their cases would have them.

Further, companies who manufacturer those drives WANT to sell them, but they are not being bought except in relatively low numbers, so regardless what you "think", that's just the way it is, like it or not. That doesn't mean there's not still a market for cases with them or for the drives, but those features are not in high demand anymore. Plain and simple, people prefer small media that doesn't get scratched or lose it's data in five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.