Question VLC Media Player video freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
This past week, VLC has suddenly begun video freeze (audio continues). This is happening on random videos, and at random times on playback. When this happens none of the normal LAN controls work...I can't stop the video, nor pause playback, nor close VLC. The only action I can take is to uninstall and reinstall. This works until the next time I have the same problem and with the exact symptoms. Oh, and when I do the uninstall I get an error message that VLC is still running and will be closed. And this happens with each uninstall even though there isn't any open VLC window, nor is any VLC icon showing in the system tray. Task Manager also doesn't show VLC open, but it does show it as a backup process. I am running Win10, and VLC v3.0.17.4. I am a senior and a non-techie and I would welcome any help.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Thanks for your reply, Ivt, The problem began on an install I had been using without a problem for quite a while. I had never added anything to the program...just did a regular install. Is there some CODEC package I'm not aware of that I need to add? Why would VLC suddenly need a CODEC for mkv, mp4, and avi as these are the only types of files I play?

Following another suggestion, I did implement the changes documented by: How to Stop HD Video from Freezing while Playing in VLC.

Thanks for your reply, Ivt, The problem began on an install I had been using without a problem for quite a while. I had never added anything to the program...just did a regular install. Is there some CODEC package I'm not aware of that I need to add? Why would VLC suddenly need a CODEC for mkv, mp4, and avi as these are the only types of files I play?

Following another suggestion, I did implement the changes documented by: How to Stop HD Video from Freezing while Playing in VLC.

You can get the codec pack here :

BTW if you only play AVI files, why don't you just use the built-in Movie & TV app? So far it's the best player for AVI files.

weybrew

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2016
Should I go ahead and install this Windows-specific pack? If so how exactly would I go about installing these codecs, i.e. which file should they be in? I don't understand "...use the built-in Movie & TV app" comment. Is that Windows Media Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.